Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ChaoticJargon t1_isauq2q wrote

If everything extends from Will, in Schopenhauer's view, then 'denial of the will' is itself a willful act. Which is fine, I mean, matter acts upon matter in the same way. I think a better term of description though is not the act of denial of will, but instead, the refinement and harmonization of Will. It would seem that what Will ought to strive for is a discernment that depends on the level of consciousness that's been achieved. In other words, we are at a level where we ought to strive towards reducing suffering, as we humans define it. We ought to refine our own desires so that they are more harmonious with each other.

space_cheese1 t1_isbzmel wrote

Despite his irrational hatred of Hegel, I wonder about their compatibility, given Hegel's discussion of desire in the self consciousness section of the phenomenology of spirit, where consciousness realizes the limits, the unsatisfactory nature of a certain type of animalistic desire, preceding the master slave dialectic

str8_rippin123 t1_isd7u6n wrote

There were a few thinkers who tried to unify Hegel and Schopenhauer. One of them was Hartmann. Although it is very contradictory, and kind of archaic