Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Yikes4K t1_iz5t8nr wrote

Very interesting. Forgive me, but I am a philosophical novice. I believe what Smith is getting at is the idea of balance. What I have come to learn so far is that, when it comes to applying philosophy, you kinda have to strap things down and hang on for dear life. You are constantly questioning and examining your beliefs and the world. Smith makes the claim that Rand has the solution in living for one’s self, but, like with many frameworks, there isn’t a solid right to just apply without consideration. The way I try to live is philosophically mediating between my pursuit of wisdom, my connections with others(family, friends, strangers), and the fulfillment of my self.

Aristotle’s teleological idea that humanity’s purpose is to gain understanding is brought up by Smith. This purpose argument may expand wider than how Smith applied it here. If we are supposed to understand and comprehend, then wouldn’t it be not just, a metaphysical understanding, but an ethical one that we must find as well.

I think Smith had a valid response to altruism, but personally would it not be better to live both ways?

particleye t1_iz62l11 wrote

I think it just depends on where you’re at emotionally and spiritually. If you are fulfilled by serving others full time then that is indeed saintly and something to admire.

emilymariek33 t1_izd9cwt wrote

I think admire is a strong word. Admire means that it holds extreme value. In my opinion extreme altruism is not something to admire as it means you have no sense of self. Also, we do good deeds because it makes US feel good. So, in some way is extreme altruism kind of self-serving ? I think that's why most philosophy's talk so much about balance and how that is the thing you should be seeking.

particleye t1_izdosph wrote

For the vast majority, I think everything is done out of, in part, selfish reasons. The actions done however vary widely in wholesomeness. To flourish in the act of giving one’s own life to serve other beings is, I think, of maximum wholesomeness.

It is also possible to have a sense of self but not be limited to it.

emilymariek33 t1_izh59ns wrote

I guess it just depends on the intentions of the person. But I value people that help when a opportunity is presented to them instead of seeking it. For some reason people that seek to help others give me the ick lol like what are you trying to prove to others. Also people that go into “serving” for religious purposes tend to get an ego.