Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MTBDEM t1_iz8zpe4 wrote

>“Don’t seek for everything to happen as you wish it would, but rather wish that everything happens as it actually will—then your life will flow well.”

What's the difference between wishin for it to happen as I want it to, and wishing for it to actually happen? I'm struggling with this quote

LoneWolf_McQuade t1_iz908qf wrote

I think it is essentially about fostering acceptance

MTBDEM t1_iz91exi wrote

I think the word "wish" is a bit loaded in my head which is why I struggled with that proverb. You can't "wish" for something to happen "as is" - Isn't that the opposite of the point of the wish? If I buy a lottery ticket, "I wish I win it" rather than proactively "wish the things happen the way they happen" - because they will "always happen the way they happen" irregardless of whether I wish for it or not. Now not being dissapointed by the outcome and our relationship with reality is where I think it is, but the word Wish just doesn't resonate with me.

I get what you and /u/hxub are saying, it's more of a "Dissapointed wishes are seeds for grudges" I guess

ShalmaneserIII t1_iz920n0 wrote

The idea is that having a desire for things that don't happen is sure to cause you unhappiness. "Wish" is maybe a bit of a bad term to use there, but it also works- don't hope for things to happen, just accept what happens.

You can still work to make things happen, of course, but don't put any emotional investment into one result. Maybe you try to make your favorite dinner and get it. Great. Maybe you try to make it and the stove breaks and you can't. Okay. If you focus on the difference between the thing you wanted and the thing that happened, you'll just make yourself miserable.

LoneWolf_McQuade t1_iz92n1v wrote

I understand what you mean. Remember that these were written in Ancient Greek/Latin , sometimes something doesn’t translate well or is interpreted in a confusing way.

ammonium_bot t1_izej8ms wrote

> happen*" irregardless of

Did you mean to say "regardless"?
Explanation: irregardless is not a word.
^^I'm ^^a ^^bot ^^that ^^corrects ^^grammar/spelling ^^mistakes. ^^PM ^^me ^^if ^^I'm ^^wrong ^^or ^^if ^^you ^^have ^^any ^^suggestions.
^^Github

hxub t1_iz90jth wrote

It's not wishing for it to actually happen. It's wishing that everything happens as it actually will. In other words, not wishing the thing you were wishing for in the 1st place, but for whatever life throws at you