Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LuaC_laFolle t1_iz93u78 wrote

I just thought how "finding happiness" shouldn't feel so distant, the thing is this whole world telling you to find it, as you don't have it, as is something else, hard to reach, almost intangible. Is like this propaganda to sell something, you will not buy something if you already have it.

Life is hard, but as I see, dispair is something politics and marketing is feeding on from us. We are not living life, we are living inside an implanted message.

kfpswf t1_iz9bbye wrote

>Life is hard, but as I see, dispair is something politics and marketing is feeding on from us. We are not living life, we are living inside an implanted message.

Rightly so. You can't mobilize an ideology if everyone is content. You have to drum up discontent, feed lies, and push propaganda down the throat of society to make them feel threatened.

In a way, the article was discussing just this. How the desires of the powerful have been shaping the world.

LuaC_laFolle t1_iz9ddzq wrote

What is the most frustrating for me is watching almost everyone sinking in this quicksand trap, inteligent people also, believing they're miserable, growing in a self preservation selfshness, paralized agaist real issues because people feeling they are in such treats can't adress another peoples problem/society problems. Is the perfect scheme to control the masses.

Is so sad and enfuriating.

kfpswf t1_iz9oei2 wrote

>What is the most frustrating for me is watching almost everyone sinking in this quicksand trap, inteligent people also,

Intelligence is a vast category of human skill. Just because someone is good at one subject doesn't mean that they will be good at others.

The main issue with humanity is, and always will be, tribalism. This is embedded in human psyche just as much as belief in god is. Dealing with this issues requires the art of self-contemplation, being able to see your own flaws and pitfalls of reasoning and beliefs. Now that is something vast majority of humans are not ready for as that will literally efface any cocoon of an identity you may have built throughout your life.

soulstriderx t1_izby97r wrote

Self-contemplation is pivotal as you mention, but paradoxically in these narcissistic times where you are encouraged to "live your truth", "find yourself", etc; people just move further and further away from any real attempt at cracking open their own shells.

ficiousconscious t1_izahnro wrote

I’m with you. It should be noted that tribalism may precede hierarchies, especially narratives claiming divinity being at the top. However, I get your point. In addition to tribalism, specialization and individualism are also corroding human well-being.

Specialization has uprooted human autonomy, which means people become completely reliant on this toxic socio-economic system for their basic necessities. You start to contribute and perpetuate, with taxes, to cultural hegemony as you are shackled to a system that ignores biological tendencies and evolutionary psychology, which is dressed up as “progress”, forever ambiguous and vague.

Individualism is a metaphysical truth that emerged through desperation not progress. With 8 billion humans saturating every waking moment, an ideology had to manifest that allows such a horrendous population to persist. The sanctity of human life had to be a first principle shared by everyone, yet in reality, individualism makes little sense for any mammalian creature, as primary groups are how identities are naturally built, whereas algorithms and advertisements bolster manufactured identities in a system that isolates and alienates humans for profit.

thegooddoctorben t1_izcxdzp wrote

>The main issue with humanity is, and always will be, tribalism. This is embedded in human psyche just as much as belief in god is. Dealing with this issues requires the art of self-contemplation...

It requires not only an individual response, but a commitment to building a society that actively educates for knowledge, tolerance, and common humanity.

kfpswf t1_izdwkgh wrote

Agreed. But such a community will not be conducive for the wealthy, powerful, and demagogues. Hence the current state of affairs of the world.

Minyun t1_izati16 wrote

Once aware, the best you can do is manage it.

TheoreticalSpace t1_izb7raf wrote

Reading something that has me thinking this critically on reddit really caught me off guard.

Appreciate the food for thought

thalesjferreira t1_izbvuvf wrote

The fact that social medias are there to slap happiness in your face everyday just contributes to the problem.

x3n0n89 t1_izmb4kx wrote

This idea of a "pursuit of happiness" to begin with seems problematic to me?

A pursuit for meaning would be the ethical choice I would rather want to decide on. If it creates unhappiness than okay, contemplation can lead to necessary suffering.

Acknowledging happiness as a byproduct has been a liberating experience and made me contempt in realizing that it is okay to not be happy all the time. If my "pursuit of happiness" would mean I'd have to choose ignorance to preserve the mentioned cocoon than I'd rather want to face a painful truth than a comfortable lie.

Does that notion make sense to you?