Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NecessaryLab t1_iz9z9a2 wrote

No. As far as western power is concerned it gets a complete pass. The people of the west are no doubt lacking all motivation, in no small part becasue "philosphers" like this guy sell them irrationality/and there's nothing you can do about it nonsense like this. The western elite are not irrational though and are as cold-blooded about reality and their interest in it as any of the (all too typical) bogey-men mentioned in the article. A de-motivated and lost populace that thinks for example that a part fo their own brain is guiding them and there is nothing they can do about it, coincidently suits their purpose: no eyes on them (or reality). You may talk- but never about anything important!

−6

mvdenk t1_iza9skt wrote

I still have a feeling that we read a completely different article...

NecessaryLab t1_izadle5 wrote

it's typical of modern thought to suggest that our thinking has an irrational basis (freud and marx are the two big ones). But what about THAT thought? But anyway, what this does is simply look at motives rather than what is said. WHY did he say it- not what did he say- is he correct etc. This means you just diagnose your opponent- instead of arguing with him. Meanwhile only those that understand this can have a legitimate voice...

Anyway, more speicifically he says (paraphrasing), there was a booming period for democracies but now a certain distrust has come in (why?) now people go for trump bolsonaro, they are drawn [irreovcably, emotionally) toward the strong man to solve their problems.

I shall translate: western govt gave power to their people (aren't they nice?) but people are perverse and are throwing it away

If you believe this version of events...

−1

mvdenk t1_izaf90x wrote

That's a complete misinterpretation of what he actually says in the book (or the interview). I'll stop arguing with you, it will not lead anywhere.

NecessaryLab t1_izap1w5 wrote

you did not actually ever begin to argue with me to be fair