Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

iiioiia t1_j0ly9ey wrote

Nedink t1_j0m0n5g wrote

Yeah, just like people trying to be helpful on the internet.

iiioiia t1_j0m2tjt wrote

Right, but the contents of your message seemed to state only the positive subset of ChatGPT's attributes, and implied that it is good for error checking/etc without acknowledging that the things it says are often completely incorrect or nonsensical.

My hope is that the similarity of it's "cognition" to ours may force or encourage us to pay more serious attention to the nature and consequences of ours.

decrementsf t1_j0n8cf8 wrote

ChatGPT is rolling over what people have said on the internet. Then regurgitating it using statistics on steroids. Lots and lots of steroids.

You're going to get an amalgam of what people in the training data have said.

To add an example, if you ask it go provide a recipe for chocolate chip cookies it's going to do a pretty good job with common information like this. If you have familiarity with what chocolate chip cookie recipes usually look like, you'll catch the error if it recommends adding large quantities of ginger and cardamom to the recipe. You need to have some basic understanding of what results should look like. The credibility of outputs provided is greatest for common information, becoming less credible or unavailable in the underlying training sets the more novel your request (you're not going to get great overview of how the Helion nuclear fusion reactor works).

iiioiia t1_j0nfq4n wrote

Well, simple math is pretty common, and I've seen several examples online where it gets elementary school math wrong.

Based on what I've read about it, its behavior seems extremely similar to human cognition, I can't even imagine what the next version is going to be like, let alone 2-3 years from now. I think we are in a new era, this might be similarly disrupting as the internet was, maybe even more.

Dismal_Contest_5833 t1_j13wts4 wrote

the answrs wont make sense half the time. it would be useless to use chat gpt to complete a paper for a university course as depending on the subject, you have to cite sources, and the task may ask for ones opinion.