Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

James_E_Fuck t1_j0m6ucd wrote

"such problems would be easily seen by any careful teacher and penalized with a bad grade."

As a teacher I can tell you this won't happen. At least not in the majority of public schools. It's going to reveal a huge crack in education. When a teacher has 200 students the idea that they can meaningfully know or provide feedback to all of them is an illusion. They are mostly graded based on their ability to complete the tasks we give them. If they are able to fake those tasks or have an AI do it for them, they will be able to get by without too much trouble unless they do something obviously dumb (and plenty will, I have students copy paste answers off Google all the time and they don't even change the formatting or take out obvious signs) but in a system like ours where there aren't any meaningful consequences for cheating, the benefits will outweigh the risks for students without an internal moral reason not to.

Top_Net_123 t1_j0mc8mv wrote

As a colleague, I can completely second your opinion. Time will tell how we can meaningfully react to these new circumstances.

James_E_Fuck t1_j0movnf wrote

We haven't caught up to the last 20 years of circumstances I don't think we're about to start now haha.