Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

boomming t1_j45sl5s wrote

> Do we not still use the concept of the id, superego and ego?

No. The modern consensus in psychology absolutely does not support in any way, the existence of an ID, Ego, or Superego.

AddaleeBlack t1_j45stcc wrote

I'm pretty sure the previous poster made it clear that the concept of these is so ingrained now in the modern thinking of psychology that we don't even recognize that anymore. The concept of the three actually exist not only Within the ideas of psychoanalysis but other treatment modalities as well. I remember my ex-husband in treatment coming home asking me about the" King baby" Id as was trying to be explained to him in substance abuse counseling. These were not trained psychologists they were treatment counselors.

boomming t1_j45tfvc wrote

Where is your evidence that these ideas are at all ingrained in modern psychology? 3 discrete parts of the subconscious, each with their own purpose in guiding your behavior sounds like a very specific hypothesis and I have never encountered any modern psychology who purports that there is any evidence of it.

>And these were not trained psychologists they were treatment counselors

You are missing the conclusion that they believed in this unsupported hypothesis because they are not actual psychologists. Why would I trust them to actually know real psychology if they aren’t even psychologists!

AddaleeBlack t1_j45ttfo wrote

They were trained by psychologists, genius. 🙄

All's I did was Google personality theory and the first one that came up with psychoanalytic which does contain id ego and the superego so I think you're wrong 🤷‍♀️

boomming t1_j45uhof wrote

How do you know they were trained by psychologists? All the psychologists I know, people who were actually working in scientific research, said that Freud was never that important to actual psychology and was always much more popular in the public consciousness. Wilhelm Wundt and William James are the early pioneers of scientific psychology.

And googling personality test is not a good way to judge the support of scientific theories, as anyone intelligent might tell you.

AddaleeBlack t1_j45voyh wrote

I didn't Google personality test I Googled personality theory.

I would suggest that you look up the required studies of a substance abuse counselor to answer your own question.

I believe I was discussing psychoanalytic theory as opposed to clinical research.

So are you denying that the concept of the ego, superego, and id are part of the mainstream modern thinking about personality?

boomming t1_j45w55v wrote

> So are you denying that the concept of the ego, superego, and id are not part of the mainstream modern thinking about personality?

You have a double negative there, but yes, I am denying that modern psychology supports the hypothesis of an id, ego, or superego.

AddaleeBlack t1_j45wb8n wrote

And I corrected prior to 3 minutes, how desperate are you to discredit rather than discuss?

AddaleeBlack t1_j45u0mk wrote

Do you not get the very idea of a subconscious is due to Freud? Thanks for showing a perfect example of the modern psych student who tries to act like Freud wasn't a major part of the beginning of psychology.

boomming t1_j45ur2n wrote

It is absolutely amazing that you are both engaging in ad hominem attacks in the Philosophy subreddit, and also seem to think that Freud was the originator of the subconscious/unconscious. He was not, which a cursory google search, which you apparently use to judge the validity of scientific theories, would show you.

[deleted] t1_j45wqtf wrote

[removed]

BernardJOrtcutt t1_j4eyrbo wrote

Your comment was removed for violating the following rule:

>Be Respectful

>Comments which consist of personal attacks will be removed. Users with a history of such comments may be banned. Slurs, racism, and bigotry are absolutely not permitted.

Repeated or serious violations of the subreddit rules will result in a ban.

This is a shared account that is only used for notifications. Please do not reply, as your message will go unread.

AddaleeBlack t1_j45xeks wrote

OH AND FYI: SUBCONSCIOUS DOES NOT = UNCONSCIOUS- PSYCH 101.