Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ChaoticJargon t1_j5z6pxo wrote

So, the author can't complain if I choose to seek advice because that is part of my own self-authorship. Also, the author can't complain if giving advice is part of my self-authorship, which by the way, self-authorship is not really defined in the text.

So the author is saying that a leader should never seek advice. That seems a bit, immoral, if you ask me. A leader should be open to the experiences of others. The author is taking too narrow a stance and not really considering all the implications of their idea.

SansCitizen t1_j63a4wz wrote

Agreed, and for that matter, I’m not even sure if “self-authorship” could have a satisfactory definition here that describes anything truly possible… I can’t immediately think of an opportunity which can be taken without first having been offered in some way, by somebody. Devoid of influence from others, the stories most of us would be left to write with our lives would be empty, boring, and short.

Creeper-Status t1_j6c4ktr wrote

Agreed. This like most things is muddying the waters of life so to speak. Like the universe, our lives are entropic. Or so it seems.