Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TuvixWasMurderedR1P OP t1_j5z6qbf wrote

This is only an article about his academic article. My own inclination is to disagree as well, but I thought it was interesting for discussion. I'd like to read the original published one. I wonder how Dr. Akhlaghi defends this...

bishop0408 t1_j5z7n3a wrote

I was looking at his direct quotes specifically!

TuvixWasMurderedR1P OP t1_j5z8nbw wrote

I agree that the terms "autonomous self-making" and "self-authorship" and "revelatory autonomy" are vague. Hopefully he provides a proper definition of the terms in his academic paper.

Though what I don't quite understand is how receiving advice actually interferes with this. After all, there's still a significant distinction between being told a thing and experiencing a thing.

I'm sure we've all had that experience in which our parents have offered us words of wisdom as children or teenagers, only for us to learn the exact same lesson "the hard way."

Albuwhatwhat t1_j61d3dr wrote

I don’t feel like it does interfere. The article sounds like what an academic in philosophy does when they have friends that have overstepped their boundaries by giving too much advice on Personal issues.

Hsinats t1_j636q9q wrote

Not even too much advice, just advice they don't agree with.

ChaoticJargon t1_j5z80h8 wrote

Based on the limited article alone I don't believe there's a defensible position. The only one I can find personally is the concept of boundaries. In other words, intentionally blocking others from giving advice is a personal right, but beyond that I can't find any other argument to agree with their full stance.