Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hOprah_Winfree-carr t1_j638rh9 wrote

This is pretty silly. I might agree if the tactics were manipulative, but simply offering advice? No. What seems to be overlooked here is that advice from others is really just additional information available in one's environment. It's up to the person receiving advice to decide how to weight, interpret, and apply it. We have impressionable, stubborn, and contrarian types among us. Those are ways of describing set biases in the ways people treat such information. But the most important part is that information is not coercion.

It's also important to learn how to handle such advice, because you're absolutely going to be receiving it. Even if this moral stance against coaching people on their life choices made any sense, it would still be ignoring that fact. If you ignored the fact that reading is an essential life skill, you could easily make the case that it's immoral to force children to learn it. But that's cutting the context short; in the full context, it's immoral not to.

-erisx t1_j69p84e wrote

Yep. I think a lot of it comes down to descriptive vs prescriptive advice… advice is highly valuable, and we can’t just make decisions without the help of others. I think it’s partially about learning to give advice in the right way and also learning to take advice in the right way. If you just do anything anyone tells you, you’re a fool. And if you guide someone’s decisions in a highly aggressive way your just being over controlling. The whole thing takes a lot of deliberation and careful decision making from both parties.