Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mr_beaun t1_jecyu13 wrote

That's pretty awesome. It's fuckin sad to know some people's parents wouldn't do this for them.

Hadochiel t1_jedr17x wrote

The positive side is that the number of parents who wouldn't do it for their children is getting lower and lower every year.

Jonasthewicked2 t1_jedt48u wrote

It really is depressing. I’ve often wondered how my family would feel if I were gay but then I remember my gay cousin who lives in Hawaii and we live in NY so….sums up how my family feels I think.

fatnoah t1_jeee7nn wrote

One of the most awkward, yet heartwarming moments of my teenage years happened when my mom randomly told me she'd still love me just as much if I was gay.

At that time it a) was really awkward and b) felt like throwing shade at my lack of success with the ladies, but older me knows it came from the heart.

Zeelthor t1_jeepj0o wrote

My grandmother told me the same thing. xD which was sweet and all, but really highlighted my lack of a love life.

ananxiouscat t1_jeehkqy wrote

im currently homeless bc my parents literally and physically fought against my identity when i came out

it's been great

sonic_butthole_music t1_jef5rq2 wrote

I’m not even gay and my dad has never said he’s proud of me

LunarProphet t1_jedrwr6 wrote

"Im proud of my gay son"

That's wholesome af but it got me good.

I imagine the question was "Hey, Frank, how's your boy doing?"

Special_Narwhal_4540 t1_jeh0zre wrote

Especially because he doesn't look like the type of person you'd expect to support their gay son. Fucking wholesome.

baddspellar t1_jee6cuo wrote

The first pride parades were actually held on June 28, 1970, the first anniversary of the brutal police raids of Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village. The date is important, as is the reason for the march, and it is the reason the June is Pride Month. Gay people were fed up with the harassment and abuse they faced constantly, and decided it was time to be heard.

It was the moment when gay people bagan to be heard and to feel comfortable being who they are. I was hopeful we were finally through all that, but alas, the right wingers driven by the religious right and neofascist groups are trying to turn back the clock, aided by their allies in the Republican party.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3521947-pride-month-marred-by-rising-anti-lgbtq-hate/

kukendran t1_jecy2vz wrote

Gotta love the chad who decided to go with a full suit to march.

BovineRapture t1_jecty96 wrote

*March

Definitely not a parade

[deleted] t1_jecuzhk wrote

[deleted]

−1

BovineRapture t1_jedvlmp wrote

The first pride was a riot. Floats didn't come for decades. Corporatized pride of the last ten years or so is not representative of the struggle for right. We still honor those who came before us by referring to it as a march even though today I agree, it's more of a parade. It certainly wasn't when it began.

SureEgg6552 t1_jedr55d wrote

people nowadays say being gay is a trend. nope! people have feelings and can love who they love. this is how all parents should be! obviously, in today's world, that's impossible. 😕

emote_control t1_jee9y1p wrote

Anyone who says that someone is gay "because it's trendy" is outing themselves. No straight person would ever imagine that could be a thing, because it's so self-evidently impossible to be attracted to the same sex if you're straight.

11000MileBay t1_jefzjb3 wrote

Some people are just bigots who don't care to understand. It's not always "Actually a self hating gay" like people like to joke. Frankly I think that trope is a little harmful

ViolentlyDemonic t1_jecw6z1 wrote

this is the thing that everyone in the world deserve to see <333 Wholesome!

Spartan2470 t1_jeeg67j wrote

Here is a much higher quality and much less cropped version of this image. Here is the source. Per there:

> Parents march in support of LGBTQ rights at Gay Pride parade in Greenwich Village, New York City, US, 30th June 1974; (right) is American lawyer Dick Ashworth marching with a sign that reads 'I'm Proud of My Gay Son'. He later became one of the founding members of PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays). (Photo by Bettmann via Getty Images)

jbazildo t1_jeetmu8 wrote

Fucking OG's in that there picture

ChampionshipLow8541 t1_jeeuspw wrote

Half a century later, and conservatives still can’t cope.

Doggleganger t1_jefxdda wrote

Though Republicans see the writing on the wall, now that the majority of society accepts gay people, which is why they've shifted their focus to attack an even smaller and more marginalized group: transgender people.

jackrats t1_jed7zfl wrote

Fucking pioneers right there!

herbertfilby t1_jeevxzt wrote

1955 version of Doc Brown:

“Why shouldn’t you be happy?!”

Livid-Ad4102 t1_jef3g5o wrote

FAKE didn't yall see that clip of the girl who said there were no gay people when she was in school? Then HOW could there be a PRIDE parade when GAY people didn't exist until BIDEN HUH??

OppositeOfOxymoron t1_jefe4pt wrote

Which reminds me of when my parents went to the Toronto Pride parade, and were interviewed on the street. It made the local news, and I got a lot of phonecalls that night to "See how you're doing" and "Got any big news?"

When I was at my parent's place for dinner two weeks later, they mentioned getting on TV, and when they explained why, all the calls suddenly made sense.

I wasn't there. I'm straight. :)

Saeryf t1_jefuyoe wrote

It's deeply depressing that we still have so many people being hateful duecebags.

MrWindblade t1_jegbu4g wrote

50 years later, we have a political climate where these people would be in even more danger now than they already were back then.

Marshyboi- t1_jef0s5w wrote

I remember when my grandma would be homophobic ,then when she found out I was with my ex gf she hugged me and said “te amo mija ” I felt very much loved, she was very supportive too, and she isn’t homophobic anymore :)

Kylious12 t1_jefnv8g wrote

So. The LGBT already there in the past

unurbane t1_jefy81p wrote

TIL what a closet mother is.

AlienAmerican1 t1_jegrznh wrote

That's an odd thing to be proud of, like it's not an achievement. Like "ooo, I worked all my life to be gay" or anything like that. I have a hard time believing that these 50 - 60 year old men are bragging at work, "Hey Bill, you know my kid graduated from Harvard, first in his class, now he's interning over at, and oh hey, he really loves cock"

wuy3 t1_jeh1lix wrote

Nothing about being trans on those signs. Looks to me it was a gay rights march than a "T" march.

Jessica4ACODMme t1_jeej8ak wrote

Queer Transgender woman here. I love this so much. However, the sign always reminds me of this Mr. Show sketch So at first glance I'm so proud of these brave parents, doing this took alot of courage at the time. Then I think about the sketch, giggle a bit,and go back to being proud.

−2

Newmach t1_jeekgm6 wrote

This is awesome!

I must admit at first glance I thought the second woman from the left tried tripping the mother next to her.

−2

Formal_Technology828 t1_jedins4 wrote

i'm more confused why so many 1970's photos are black and white, first coloured movie was 1908.

−6

Kenobi_01 t1_jee1ov3 wrote

We've had holograms for a few decades. Why aren't you reading this on a holographic screen?

GoPhinessGo t1_jedn1ol wrote

Most photographers did not have colored cameras yet afaik,

Formal_Technology828 t1_jedo30v wrote

i highly doubt that, kodack came out with their one use camera in 1888, first coloured camera was 1907, by 1970 you could buy one at radioshack for like $5, probably less i had one in the 80's that was like $2

−6

BSB8728 t1_jeel2kg wrote

I started journalism school in 1974. This photo was undoubtedly shot for a newspaper, and even today, newspaper photos are almost all black-and-white. Magazine photos were more likely to be in color.

benabart t1_jedmpui wrote

>first coloured movie was 1908

Wasn't it colored by hand at the time?

Fruitboots t1_jefqj13 wrote

Black and white photo film was (and still is) cheaper than color film.

bajaxx t1_jedj7wy wrote

so you think it was longer ago than it really was

−2

3232330 t1_jedjukm wrote

No it was expensive to print or take color photos

11000MileBay t1_jefzq1i wrote

Color film remained (and remains) more expensive to shoot than B/w.

Obviously with digital you can shoot either for the same price.

Formal_Technology828 t1_jedjb9m wrote

that's real dumb, or I'm just immune to such idiocy.

−7

bajaxx t1_jedjeqe wrote

Lol there’s a lot of photos from civil rights era that are in black and white even tho they were shot in color to give the illusion that those problems were from a long time ago

BSB8728 t1_jeel9ve wrote

Most of those photos were shot for publication in newspapers, which were printed in black and white.

Zed096 t1_jefbn1p wrote

Vile.

−7

thickener t1_jefrdmc wrote

Parents loving their children is vile to you. That’s how far gone you are.

NowFreeToMaim t1_jee4d54 wrote

LGBT T-shirt’s say this was a riot…

−8

HouseCravenRaw t1_jef7owi wrote

This is 1973. Stonewall riot was 1969. This is a march, not a riot.

furiousfran t1_jef6w1m wrote

That's because the Stonewall Riot in 1969 was a riot.

OCSupertonesStrike t1_jeeg1dx wrote

It would be cool if we could confirm that these were actual parents of LGBT children.

Edit: facts don't matter I guess

−8

HouseCravenRaw t1_jef7k8r wrote

Few points there:

1. At this point in time, for the viewing public, that's less important. This was very controversial. Certainly for the LGBT persons, if these were actually their parents, it is very inspiring (albeit dangerous).
  2. These people were risking themselves and their safety by doing this. It isn't just a show.
  3. The man in the suit is Dick Ashworth, an American Lawyer that started PFLAG. We do know who some of the people in this image are.

littlebitofsnow t1_jefi26o wrote

Are you trying to argue that this is fake because you don't believe parents could love their gay children?

What is your point, exactly?

OCSupertonesStrike t1_jefoisp wrote

Seems more like op is claiming these are parents of LGBT children.

littlebitofsnow t1_jefp7z9 wrote

And despite the signs you think that may be false... why?

What's the point of questioning it? That it might be people who don't have kids but just support gay people?

belisarius93 t1_jee0gkd wrote

Just gay children by the look of it

−14

One_Print_7240 t1_jeed5iz wrote

I’m 41; gay; single, my hopes and dreams were ruined by this community.

−14

Heretostay59 OP t1_jeegahh wrote

>my hopes and dreams were ruined by this community.

I am sorry you feel that way

−1

[deleted] t1_jedonkz wrote

[removed]

−47

KarnWild-Blood t1_jedw8qv wrote

>LGBT is just a fanatic ideology

Sounds like this particular hetero is upsetero.

Metalloid_Space t1_jedqpft wrote

You're against them forming a common identity around having a different sexuality?

Wasn't that going to happen regardless? Because of all the discrimination and shit? You know the kind of shit that makes you want to find people that are more likely to accept you?

theplaneguy321 t1_jedt97s wrote

If lgbtq people weren't discriminated against there literally wouldn't be lgbtq.

No discrimination = no lgbtq to fight against discrimination

If everyone left gay people alone there wouldn't be a problem in the first place

−5