Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

V3rtigo44 t1_j2byu24 wrote

Those prisoners ate better than i do, goddamn

Smileyjoe72 t1_j2fbpix wrote

If you go on the tour there’s a whole thing about how bad the food was. The dining hall was equipped with tear gas that could be released in a riot and they still rioted over the spaghetti.

jimycrakdcorn_nicare t1_j2clowk wrote

I think this is a looks better on paper kinda deal. It was probably disgusting. This is prison food. I can poop in a bowl and add water and there is your bean soup.

−1

anaserre t1_j2dg3ra wrote

I was incarcerated in a county jail in Oklahoma for a couple months, and although it wasn’t as good as this…it wasn’t bad. Not much in the way of fresh fruits or veggies, you had to buy coffee and tea yourself, but they kept you full.

skinwill t1_j2d0qo1 wrote

So, prisoner’s in the 40’s ate better than US public school students do now?

turboclock t1_j2dy0u7 wrote

Yeah public school lunches are garbage. The regulations were supposed to make things better for students but just made portions lower while keeping the same disgusting, unhealthy food.

dadwillsue t1_j2eri02 wrote

Don’t worry dude, we’ll just pass some more regulation. That’ll solve it! /s

hyperchickenwing t1_j2f9cdt wrote

They eat better than most of the US public in general nowadays. We can't afford shit these days

guyfromcleveland t1_j2c2371 wrote

Federal prisons are generally known for having better food because it's been shown that's the best thing to prevent unrest.

Mike81890 t1_j2f6qrw wrote

Supposedly Alcatraz in particular abided by this proviso, being an island and all

Justin__D t1_j2fhwdf wrote

ILPT: If you get arrested, make sure it's for a federal crime.

Virtual-Relation-765 t1_j2dwdzd wrote

Better than..? This is not an example of what federal or state prisoners are offered today. Currently, the food is nutritionally adequate but hardly something intended to squelch inevitable tensions. It’s not supposed to be “good.”

guyfromcleveland t1_j2ef159 wrote

There is plenty of evidence and experience among people who actually know what they are talking about that better food in prison reduces unrest.

Virtual-Relation-765 t1_j2egtrk wrote

Better conditions would ideally reduce unrest, the theory is solid. The actual practice of providing ‘better food’ is not consistent throughout the federal prison system.

aknabi t1_j2e5mdd wrote

Well at least for state need to ensure those prisoners don’t get parole…. Bad for increasing sales/profits.

junkyardpig t1_j2cavbh wrote

What do you put catsup on when you're working with split pea soup, baked beans, salad, canned pears, and coffee?

CaliBigWill t1_j2bz6j5 wrote

I bet that place smelled ripe. Like a big fart. All that good food and its balanced with a lot of fiber.

neanderhummus t1_j2cuoyy wrote

“I’m not trapped in here with you, you’re trapped in heat with me

redneckhatr t1_j2c6779 wrote

I’ve always thought dinner and supper where the same meal. Was I wrong?

KaBar2 t1_j2c6s0a wrote

In Southern states, especially in years past, the last meal of the day was called "supper," and the mid-day meal was called "dinner." I'm 72. My grandparents used these terms.

Cacachuli t1_j2dsf0x wrote

I don’t think it was only southern states. As you can see here it was also in California. Dinner was the largest meal of the day, usually served at lunchtime. Supper was a lighter evening meal.

I think rural people had largest meal at noon. City people had largest meal after getting home from work.

So as people become more urbanized dinner became synonymous with the evening meal.

blue_27 t1_j2dvfp0 wrote

In the Navy, onboard a ship, there is a bell and it will tell you what meal is being served in the galley. I'd been onboard for weeks (maybe months) before I figured out that supper meant dinner. Honestly, I didn't give a shit. The bell rang, and food was in the galley. I was very Pavlovian by then. One day, it just clicked that they were calling 'lunch' "dinner".

And I think those dudes in Alcatraz ate better than we did ...

IronSnail t1_j2el3fq wrote

My family always used supper for the general last meal of the day and dinner if it was more formal

East_Pickle_2833 t1_j2c9miz wrote

Someday I will visit this place

c33m0n3y t1_j2cfxy4 wrote

It is an amazing place to visit. Make sure to setup reservations for the ferry well ahead of time-much, much cheaper than the onsite resellers.

gn0xious t1_j2dz53p wrote

I’ve done both the day and night tours. The day tour was during feet week and the Blue Angels were doing low flybys right next to the prison. The night tour was cool, very different vibe.

fixfoxfax t1_j2cdj0n wrote

I was wondering about the catsup with the Mexican soup and beef pot pie.

runrein10 t1_j2cewsr wrote

Better than downdog

mcaffrey81 t1_j2dggzj wrote

You’re confusing catsup with updog

gn0xious t1_j2dz7kc wrote

What’s updog?

mcaffrey81 t1_j2e2gap wrote

Nothing. What’s up with you?

gn0xious t1_j2e36x3 wrote

I knew you were waiting hours for someone to ask :)

mcaffrey81 t1_j2e3u41 wrote

The internet needs more people like you. Happy New Year!

runrein10 t1_j2eb3ol wrote

I was waiting for hours for this and the one time Reddit doesn’t alert me!

rwisdom64 t1_j2c4gmz wrote

Better than the nasty cheese sandwiches day after day in the Seattle jail, lol

sproutsandnapkins t1_j2dvp99 wrote

Lots of “healthy” options but I’m the most shocked at Mustard greens.

StrictSorbet9799 t1_j2egtyl wrote

What’s the difference between dinner and supper? I thought they were the same thing

GoodMornEveGoodNight OP t1_j2elb7a wrote

Apparently dinner used to be lunch, and supper used to be dinner! In the American south at least

StrictSorbet9799 t1_j2elmzz wrote

Awesome! A quick google search didn’t clear it up so I’m glad you knew, thanks!

GoodMornEveGoodNight OP t1_j2elxkw wrote

You’re welcome! They still use these terms in certain Catholic monasteries in the American south

0rion71 t1_j2ekeme wrote

Catsup is protein, Ketchup is a different recipe using tomatoes

AdLate7836 t1_j2c30b8 wrote

Hold the purée mongole. I’ll take the electrical chair.

IncaseofER t1_j2cl1gq wrote

I was wondering about that and the Yarina for Friday breakfast. Looks like maybe a local brand name for some type of cereal but google doesn’t have anything?

BetaRho t1_j2co2tm wrote

Puree mongole is a split pea and tomato soup, popular in the era. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pur%C3%A9e_Mongole

And the Friday breakfast if farina, which is a hot cereal. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farina_(food)

IncaseofER t1_j2cqy9c wrote

Thanks! I thought the “F “ was a “y”!

Snufflarious t1_j2daaa2 wrote

I also looked it up but now I don’t know what chervil tastes like

Aware_Style1181 t1_j2ck9q4 wrote

Disciplinary Loaf a/k/a Prison Loaf a/k/a NutraLoaf not on the menu.

dickman136 t1_j2d663b wrote

I haven’t slept in 28 hours thought this said Auschwitz’s at first. Read the menu and was like wait a second ww2 ended before 46.

thebenks1 t1_j2dbvx8 wrote

Also Auschwitz wasn’t known for feeding its denizens a full and varied menu

Purp1eC0bras t1_j2e7s6k wrote

Lunch and dinner have some similarities

johnny_abington t1_j2exi2l wrote

Today, the food service would be privatized and they would spend .45 a meal for each inmate.

Connect_Office8072 t1_j2f0hv8 wrote

A few years ago, as part of a document review, I read some menus from Alabama state prison and they looked horrible - all starch and fat, very little fresh food, except sometimes collard greens.

SmoovSamurai t1_j2fwnwb wrote

When did we invent lunch? Because this says breakfast,Dinner, and supper.