Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

great_auks t1_j6gtj5y wrote

they didn't do nearly as good a job destroying them as General Sherman did

Dat_Beaver t1_j6iddbs wrote

Different kind of sabotage. The confederates didn’t have the industry to make new rails, the Russians did. Just twist the rails and they can simply be replaced. Rip apart the supports and you have to dig them out and place new ones.

ghidfg t1_j6gug69 wrote

how were they broken? looks like they were torn through. doesn't appear to be any clean axe cuts or anything.

Ancient-Access8131 t1_j6gvwap wrote

eugene20 t1_j6gxi7r wrote

Just seeing the layout of the damage I assumed it had to be something like that but it still blows my mind that can just slice through them and keep on going

Edit: in action thanks to u/samfreez

Kayback2 t1_j6h1kit wrote

What amazed me is they had something like this.

Can't get troops winter clothing but take the rail plough just in case we retreat!

browsing_around t1_j6ibvv1 wrote

One piece of metal is a lot easier to produce and provide than hundreds and thousands of multi piece garments that have to be stitched together.

Kayback2 t1_j6iitji wrote

It wasn't just one plough, but yet they took them with them, on their invasion.

−2

Silo-Joe t1_j6gt33u wrote

Trying to see how a train wouldn’t be still able to run on this tracks. The rails still look parallel.

Is the danger for the train an eventual shifting of the rails? Does that mean the front cars through the tracks out of alignment for rear cars?

BartVanHouten t1_j6gu5bd wrote

Trains push from the inside of the rails out, these rails are fucked

Silo-Joe t1_j6gv0fd wrote

Thanks for explaining. That makes sense now.

londons_explorer t1_j6h7kmh wrote

Doesn't look awfully hard to repair... Just replace the ties, which are standard parts you can bring in in bulk by train.

Replacing just say 1 in 10 will allow you to use the railway for light vehicles, which then allows you to do the rest of the repair all in parallel.

−10

faketooter t1_j6hzdvj wrote

You need at least 1 for every 5 ties missing consecutively, and even then sometimes track units derail. Trust me, I'm a railroader.

BartVanHouten t1_j6igemx wrote

They have to lift the track, probably move ballast and then replace probably a couple hundred miles of ties. We have non-broken track that we have to be careful on and can’t go more than 10mph

the_colonelclink t1_j6hbc35 wrote

There’s a video of the machine used to destroy the tracks up above; it gives quite a profound visual on just how useless the tracks become.

stealyrface t1_j6i5fm0 wrote

Did they just do this across entire Eastern Europe as they retreated from the sleeping Russian horde they awakened

heike75 t1_j6jvh2q wrote

I was teaching at the place where these machines have been constructed: the former Maffei-Schwartzkopff site in Wildau, Germany which produced the “Schienenwolf” (“rail wolf”), which the German Wehrmacht deployed during their retreat from the Soviet Union and Italy. And in the large locomotive assembly hangar 15/16, employees built the armored locomotive of the “Führersonderzug“ (or 'Hitler's chartered train').

Adm_Mitthrawnuruodo t1_j6m101n wrote

The more I hear about these here Nazis, the less I care for them.