Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

StupidOldAndFat t1_j9alrq7 wrote

Car salesman here. Not gonna make a recommendation, because I’m clearly biased. Values are dropping but interest rates are climbing. Are you looking for a sub-$10k cash purchase or 2-3 year old with low miles? The sub 10k market is rough. Mostly 10+year old or well over 100k miles. If you’re going that route, Toyota or Honda. Later 2-3 year old car, buy Certified. To your actual question - Research dealers as well as cars. Dealerrater is a nice resource for reviews. I have had customers come to me specifically because of my ratings.

CARLEtheCamry t1_j9blkb0 wrote

I just bought a car last week, the market is stupid right now. 2-3 year old models going for the same price as new (this may be specific to Toyota). I bought new for the first time in my life because of it.

StupidOldAndFat t1_j9blw2x wrote

It’s every brand, but Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru have always commanded a higher price.

CARLEtheCamry t1_j9bmdn8 wrote

Yeah but my point is it's extra stupid right now. I've always been a "buy a 5 year old model" but the used market is insane. My 2010 got totaled and insurance paid out $1k less than I paid for it 7 years ago.

X_PRSN OP t1_j9cdgfd wrote

I appreciate the perspective. If it's okay with you I'll DM you later when I have time and explain my situation. Would like to know what you think my options are.