Submitted by snipsnaps1_9 t3_116frag in pittsburgh

Visiting from out of town. Anywhere I can get a game in? (Outdoor is fine too; it's not too cold today). Thanks!

Edit* how about parks? Do people ever bring pop ups and play? Thanks all!

Edit 2* thanks all! The suggestions have been really helpful. I'll be sure to take a look and hopefully manage to get some touches in. Thanks again!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kistner t1_j96g8a6 wrote

There are several indoor arenas around but as far as I know they are full with leagues all winter. I've not heard of any pickup games at any of the places I frequent.

snipsnaps1_9 OP t1_j96kmyn wrote

Ah okay. Thanks. Any sense of which leagues might be best? I'm likely to move out here so I'm trying to get a sense for the scene.

TimeBomb006 t1_j97m4rd wrote

Probably PISA or Cool Springs, though it's been a few years since I've played at either

kistner t1_j96luy9 wrote

Just depends on where you live. My kids played at sportrak in Sewickley, Tri County outside of Cranberry. One of my sons also played up in Butler for a winter. My nephew plays at Tri county as well, plus he has played at PISA in Cheswick and a place in Washington that I forget the name of. There is another place in New Castle that I'm not too familiar with but I know its there. As far as east and south of Pittsburgh I am less familiar.

sockar101 t1_j96w4ip wrote

The only other places that I’m aware of that you haven’t listed (that have indoor soccer) are The Bubble on Neville Island, Greentree Sportsplex in Greentree, or The Neighborhood Academy in Stanton Heights.

kistner t1_j96wkrj wrote

Dang, I forgot about the bubble, my son practiced there for a while. Both of my boys and my nephew played at Greentree. Never heard of the one in Stanton Heights. Something tells me there must be a place in Monroeville too.

sockar101 t1_j96yyhh wrote

The Neighborhood Academy is a small 6-12 prep school. I don’t know if the field house on campus is open to the public/hosts public programs at all, but there 100% are soccer activities there. I have coached Arsenal teams there and my kids have participated in programs there, also run thru arsenal.

kistner t1_j96zls7 wrote

Between the lot of them my sons and nephew played for quite a few teams. Sadly a lot of them either don't exist any longer or consolidated. Cant say any of them played for Arsenal, most likely played against them, lol. There's always my niece, she's u9 now. No cup soccer for her yet.

snipsnaps1_9 OP t1_j96wz5k wrote

Thanks. Sounds like there are a lot of options for the youth game. Do you know if those places host games or leagues for adults? I am looking at things within the city. I don't mind driving - I'm from LA - everything is 30-40mins away there

sockar101 t1_j96z4zk wrote

PISA in Cheswick absolutely has/had all age levels on the men’s side, as well as coed and pickup. I used to ref/work there, although that was a while ago.

Edit to reflect your edit: the Oval at Schenley Park is pretty much the gold standard for adult pickup games.

kistner t1_j96yn3h wrote

I can say with certainty that I've seen adults play in Sewickley/Sportrak and at Tri county. Adult games are usually later in evening. Ie: u8, u10 might play around 5, 6, etc up to my nephew currently on a u19 team last night played at 9:20.
PA West does have adult outdoor leagues as well. Spring runs April to june; fall runs September to end of October. I don't deal with those but I have a couple friends that play on the over 40 teams.

shepherd_lover t1_j9757xz wrote

Agreed. Schenley and pisa for adults.

stadulevich t1_j97mh1k wrote

I play league now but I used to go to the pick up out in PISA, if you willing to drive out that far. If they still do it, its Wednesday evenings. All the parks do pick up in the warmer months. Id check out the oval/schenly park to see if anyone is playing since its good weather. There are also a couple facebook groups you can join who do pickup throughout southside, oakland, etc.

snipsnaps1_9 OP t1_j97mqv9 wrote

Nice! I'm out of town by Wednesday but I'll drive out to that area tomorrow. I'll keep the rest in mind for next time. Thanks a lot!

Equivalent_Alps_8321 t1_j97scx0 wrote

Place on Freedom Cider road. good food in the restaurant up top. at least used to be

FluteMan t1_j97z6lr wrote

There is $5 pickup at Southpointe 4000 reserve drive on Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch 12-1. Very fun and laid back. Dm me if you want more details. It only gets canceled if not enough people rsvp the night before. I’ll be there tuesday.

There’s pickup outside starting in the spring but it’s usually snowing right now so nothing regularly scheduled that I know of.

pierogie_65 t1_j98mo6p wrote

is this co-ed?

FluteMan t1_j99adf0 wrote

No women have shown up, but they would be welcome. Guys age range from like 20-60s. If a woman with soccer experience showed up, she would be better than at least a handful of people