Submitted by Aggravating_Foot_528 t3_11d9uxo in pittsburgh

5 day forecast says about 2" of snow. North of us (Toronto) says they're getting 7". I assume that this is subject to change depending on how the storm tracks.

Pgh wx nerds - what's the chance of non trivial snow in Pittsburgh (ie last gasp of winter) Friday?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

happyjazzycook t1_ja7h1gq wrote

Never say "winter's last grasp" in late February! We've had major snowstorms in mid-March but the weather trend this year makes me think that we're not going to get a lot of snow in the next 4 weeks or so. And lately the cold weather, snow that we did receive has tempered and melted within a few days anyway.

Snoo71538 t1_ja7jvgq wrote

Seems like half the posters in this sub just moved here and don’t understand the weather yet.

For people that haven’t been here long: it could be 75 degrees on st Patrick’s day, and then snow for Easter. Snow after tax day is maybe the start of uncommon.

paddle_forth t1_ja80zwh wrote

Granted we were in the mountains near 7 Springs, but I remember seeing snowflakes at my friends wedding in early May one year. So it was probably in the low 40s in the city at the time

PorkyWallace t1_jab1yaf wrote

We had a blizzard in April, either in 1993 or 1995/96?

I don't breathe easy until May 1st, though we did get light snow in early May last year.

swisslard t1_ja7iat4 wrote

Already looking like mostly rain and little to no accumulation on Friday. So chances are getting close to 0.

iSoReddit t1_ja7dg3l wrote

Moderate, last frost day is 15th may though so anything can happen

X_PRSN t1_ja7rv3j wrote

My kid's birthday party will be on March 11th, so expect three feet of snow the night before. Apologies in advance.

Neat_Criticism514 t1_ja7ttcq wrote

I used to be that kid. Blizzard of ‘93 I had a slumber party for my 9th birthday. Yes, my parents were ecstatic to have a houseful of girls snowed in that stayed up all night. /s

therealbobstark t1_ja7tvly wrote

Have you lived here before? We always get frost in May

yinzerthrowaway412 t1_ja7wt0x wrote

Meh, we’ve had snowstorms in April before.

Winter in Pittsburgh never ends in early March, even during mild winters like this one.

dlppgh t1_ja91t9q wrote

Our biggest snowfall of last winter was March 12. I often expect winter to be in evidence into May - the last 3 Mays, we did still have quite cold weather.