Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mikeyHustle t1_j96mtjh wrote

It's not as cheap as it used to be, but I'd say nearly all of the people I know who moved here did so because it was cheaper / easier to pay for things than where they lived before.

Ordinary_Promise7748 OP t1_j96ph9p wrote

That gives me hope! Thanks 😊

evil_iceburgh t1_j97b938 wrote

I sell real estate and very often people moving from other parts of the country are delighted at the difference in cost of living and housing but as someone else said it depends on where you’re coming from so YMMV

69FunnyNumberGuy420 t1_j97lg12 wrote

The thing is that old houses in shitty locations are cheap. Once you start getting into desirable houses in desirable areas, Pittsburgh is just as expensive as anywhere else that isn't one of the big bubble cities.

MotherBurgher t1_j9ay1dk wrote

I was trying to find a nice way to say exactly that 😅 it can be affordable but truly depends on where you’re coming from and where you’re going. You basically get what you pay for in that sense.

hsavvy t1_j9aqsue wrote

Yep I’m from Philly (the main line) and the house I recently bought in the North Hills would be incredibly out of my price range if it were back in Philly.

AnewENTity t1_j9878ep wrote

Until they get re-assessed by our scam tax system

adeadlobster t1_j9946d3 wrote

I am one of those people-- moved here last January with a $3/hr pay cut because it still made sense coming from New England. The housing bubble is definitely affecting the area currently, but not quite as hard as other areas.