Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Metalcastr t1_ja66pxm wrote

They purposely lower the lake in Winter to not damage the docks and shoreline from ice. They told us this on a boat tour. BTW, take a boat tour at least once, it's neat.

WoodpeckerFar9804 t1_ja7h0qa wrote

Oh a boat tour sounds fun! I moved not far away from Moraine I’ll have to check it out!

Metalcastr t1_jaapup2 wrote

Yeah they run them once a week as of late, in the Summer. I've been on them probably 10 times. They got a new larger boat, it's nice. Check the schedule beforehand and also call to confirm, they cancel with bad weather or if the driver is busy that day.

They also have different types of cruises, such as lunch or dinner cruises, and special event cruises as well throughout the year.

rossmarp OP t1_ja67n1v wrote

Could be. I'd just never seen it down. We did a tour several years ago now, pretty cool.

−55

IWentToAPodunkSchool t1_ja6ppqj wrote

I love how people are answering you and you're just being dismissive. Damn bro

eatAdickBURNER t1_ja7pm8g wrote

They were hoping for a more catastrophic narrative.

skfoto t1_ja7tshe wrote

The cloud of poisonous chemicals from Ohio is making the water evaporate.

trippingbilly0304 t1_ja6uscq wrote

I live by Shenango in Mercer Co. Moraine is like 30 mins south.

We have our lake fed through a dam. It is man made. Big one. Ski boats and a marina and all that. They lower it in late fall, several feet.

Anyway, from what Ive gathered over the years, it does protect shorelines and so forth--but it prevents flooding from snow melt when it warms up in spring. I think this is the primary reason. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

VietBongArmy t1_ja61z7c wrote

Mild winter, not a lot of snow melting

hypotenoos t1_ja7n1ei wrote

It’s not a natural lake. They lower it every winter.

Nothing-Mundane t1_ja63mm4 wrote

Hopefully, heavy rainfall on Monday will replenish the lake. As u/VietBongArmy said, this is a very mild winter. This month is shaping up to be the least snowy February on record.

Lil_Phantoms_Lawyer t1_jaar94t wrote

Don't listen to the haters. It's climate change. We are doomed.

−1