Submitted by DugganSC t3_125uc5m in pittsburgh

TL;DR, Pip & Lola's Soap and Sundries is a local business that sells lightly scented soap and local crafts. It's all made, managed, and sold in Pittsburgh. The owners are good friends of mine that I met through the theatre community. Their Shadyside (title is wrong. They closed both Homestead locations) location was broken into, and their cash register stolen, this they find on the day of their 10th wedding anniversary. They're great people, who're operating the usual shoestring budget of a small business who's making sure that their workers get paid first, and this comes on the wake of several other recent expenses.

If anyone knows of any details of the crime, please pass anything you have on to the police (ironically, they got the alarm notice from the store last night, but the police drove by and claimed they'd checked on the location and found no evidence of a break-in, so they assumed it was a false alarm). If you're in the market for soap (yes, I know this is Reddit, but I figure a few of you out there bathe), it's really good soap, and I highly encourage stopping by their Shadyside or Market Street location to buy a few bars (it's a good investment too... their soaps last for up to a year at a time with constant usage), or visit their website to do the same.

I know it's one sad story among many in the last few days, but I figure if I don't put it out there, it does them no good compared to if it at least drives a few sales for them.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ItsAGreatDay4America t1_je615e0 wrote

Just for clarity, they have storefronts in Shadyside & in the terminal in the strip. The Shadyside location was the one that was burglarized.

DugganSC OP t1_je643da wrote

Thank you. I used to go to their Homestead locations, and obviously it was stuck in my head.

[deleted] t1_je5xn39 wrote

That sucks. Absolutely love their store. Such a fun place, which sounds odd for a soap store, but it almost has the vibe of an independent bookstore.

Antique-Royal-3081 t1_je6h3bu wrote

same here. they were so helpful and kind when i was shopping there even though my toddler was being a bit of a menace and touching everything. the products were really nice as well.

longstoryrecords t1_je66807 wrote

I guess it was a clean getaway.

Augiehack t1_je6zg1j wrote

I have a weakness for local, craft, and artisan products almost to a fault. Sounds like they make a great product & customer experience is awesome from the comments.

Just always wonder how these places stay in business. I can't imagine the storefront rent is cheap in Shady Side & Strip locations & if it's a long-lasting soap only so many purchases throughout the year. Glancing at their website seems rather reasonably priced - maybe not compared to Irish spring but cheaper than Kheils

Hope this doesn't set them back too much - Looking forward to checking them out..

SpecialKayla t1_je9047p wrote

They're pretty cool and the soaps are great. I will say though, her beard balms kinda suck. My skin hates everything but not their soaps, which she started the company because of a childs intense allergies, and they are really great for sensitive skin!

Also, if you're into fun, they hold commercial casting calls on their Facebook. And if you do it you can be in a commercial or two for a lifetime discount. I did several when I lived in homestead because we were on the same block so when she posted them I'd wander over, get soap and make commercials with her.

thenextten t1_je9zauc wrote

Pop on in sometime and check it out. There are always free samples on the counter for you to try. It's an easy way to see if they work well for you.

GoIntoTheHollow t1_je6yi3n wrote

Oh that sucks, i love their products. I tried to go to the Shadyside location yesterday but they must have closed early. Guess I will try to stop by again soon!

mikeyHustle t1_jeac6c3 wrote

The headline is wrong, and Shadyside is the one that got hit, btw

GoddessPluto t1_je8sz9v wrote

I just want to add that I had the pleasure of working in a space next to their production area for a few months and they are wonderful humans. They make great products, and their prices are very reasonable.

Spending a few bucks with them will not only support a local family, you’ll be very happy with anything you get from them! (Personally I think you should check out the sugar scrubs)

leadfoot9 t1_je9g1i9 wrote

>the police drove by and claimed they'd checked on the location and found no evidence of a break-in, so they assumed it was a false alarm

FFS

Can confirm is good soap.