Submitted by PetiteFeetFmnnStep t3_1242pkp in pittsburgh

My gf and I will be visiting Pittsburgh for a couple of nights next weekend. We have hot mass on the list but can’t find much updated info on its status. Do you still need a password or whatever to get in? Is it worth it?

And does anyone have any recommendations for other queer friendly spaces (bars, restaurants, breweries, coffee shops) that a chapstick lesbian couple might enjoy? Thx

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

periphescent t1_jdy7cw9 wrote

Harold’s Haunt in Millvale (newer, queer, witchy and nerdy bar), Necromancer Brewing (1/2 staff and brewers are queer), Brillobox in Garfield (not explicitly a queer bar but good vibes), Blue Moon (gay bar that trends more cis male but has become more diverse these days).

My experience at Hot Mass was… okay. The music and vibes were good, but we went to a drag show that was supposed to start at midnight and by 1:30 they still hadn’t started… my tired ass had to go home to bed. So plan to have a late, late night if you go.

lutzcody t1_jdyfuvc wrote

I didn’t think ppl even showed up to hot mass til 130 lol

TheScientificWhammy t1_jdylpy7 wrote

Just want to add on that Blue Moon does “Steel Carabiner” night every 1st & 3rd Thursday which is a lesbian/dyke/sapphic night!

Aggravating_Foot_528 t1_jdxjvsu wrote

5801 on Ellsworth is queer specific

Pretty much anywhere in the east end is queer friendly, especially Garfield, Lawrenceville, Shadyside, sq hill, point breeze, Oakland, regent square...

According-Activity10 t1_jdxl2bh wrote

Mixtape just reopened and is awesome/queer friendly. Plus they take great care of their staff.

pacoliketaco t1_jdy95bq wrote

You should look up the new owners...

−1

twistedevil t1_jdyf3ny wrote

A saw a friend post on FB asking what the deal was with the new owners, but no further information. Could you elaborate on the issue?

[deleted] t1_je0a9j7 wrote

So a minority owner is a big game hunter is the problem or that they switched back to tipping?

Because there’s nothing there that would tell me not to support this business.

pacoliketaco t1_je0few1 wrote

Yes. That's apparently my line that I will not support. But feel free to make your own choices

According-Activity10 t1_jdyh4b0 wrote

I knew the previous owners sort of through work a while ago. Didn't know something was up with the new ones? I also never go out so bare with me.

TheScientificWhammy t1_jdygytg wrote

FYI, Hot Mass is currently in the middle of switching their ticketing platform so right now they are actually cash only at the door. Follow their Instagram for the most up to date info re: tickets. Also you have not needed a password for quite some time now, you just buy a ticket online (or rn while they’re waiting for the new ticketing system to go live - just show up, show your ID to the bouncer, then walk upstairs and buy your ticket).

PetiteFeetFmnnStep OP t1_jdyhi98 wrote

Thanks!

TheScientificWhammy t1_jdyivro wrote

And oop - looks like the ticketing system is live! On Saturday I was able to buy a cash ticket at the door, didn’t realize it was up and running already :)

TheScientificWhammy t1_jdyjzw1 wrote

If you’re looking for a more chill DJ night, maybe check out Sweet Abyss at Mixtape on Sat April 8? I saw Nishkosheh play at Honcho Campout and they were incredible! It will be earlier in the night and much more chill space/vibes than Hot Mass. Their insta is sweetabyss412

TheScientificWhammy t1_jdyif7y wrote

As far as your question about whether or not Hot Mass is worth it - I would check out the DJs that will be playing the night you’re here and see if it’s your vibe. The crowd and overall vibe can be quite different depending on whose night it is and what DJs are playing. There are people who show up earlier (11-midnight) but it typically doesn’t fill up until 2am and beyond. The party goes late (anywhere from 4:30-6am), they bring in incredible talent, and all the resident DJs are great as well so imo it’s worth it :)

Jubjubs t1_jdzrq53 wrote

Assuming you mean the weekend of the 8th, I'd recommend hitting Halo Varga at Cobra beforehand. Most people going to Hot Mass don't show up til 12 or 1, plus Cobra is a pretty cool vibe. (https://www.showclix.com/event/longturn-presents-halo-varga)

Jellyfish also spinning on the 7th at Bottlerocket if you end up getting in on Friday. I was there last week for one of Huny's parties and it was a lot of fun! Never had a bad time at one of Jellyfish's gigs, always queer joy (https://www.instagram.com/jellyfishpgh/)

sarahgrace93x t1_jdxy8tw wrote

I was there a few weeks ago and you need to buy tickets online beforehand to get in

StreetPedaler t1_jdy6vit wrote

I always check the Facebook page for hot mass. No password.

Asleep_Heron2179 t1_jdzrijo wrote

$25 per person to enter. Free drinks. Open sex and drug use.

GorodetskyA t1_je20632 wrote

Had to look that up, I was thinking sexy Catholic church but that didn't sound right

stadulevich t1_jdymli9 wrote

100% its worth it. Nothing else like it around. Get on the email list. May need tickets or cash at door. Other recs: Blue moon is one of my favs. drag show night I believe Fridays are packed though. Also, for late night and near hot mass is Tildens. Not as great as it used to be though.

−1

First-Long-7694 t1_jdz772n wrote

Hot mass is fun , upstairs is a men bath house . If your girl is cool you can go up or Theee are spots to play at hot mass. Last. Week I was dancing with my. Shirt open and no pants and girls a s guys took turn touching and fondu f me

−2

[deleted] t1_jdycsbc wrote

[deleted]

−3

PetiteFeetFmnnStep OP t1_jdyhc03 wrote

Thanks for absolutely nothing!

−2

[deleted] t1_jdyhr7u wrote

[deleted]

−1

Couscous_queen19 t1_jdyk91t wrote

unfortunately this is not always true. pittsburgh can often be welcoming, but i’ve had some really terrible experiences as well (slur-ridden death threats screamed at me at work, for example).

Specific spaces that ensure and actively foster queer community-built on safety-are necessary, and OP is looking for such places.