Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

LaCasaDeiGatti t1_ityf8aj wrote

Don't forget the food poisoning.

Edit: or was it something far worse like hep C?

californiadamn t1_itz4j6e wrote

Hep A. And yes, 650 people infected and 4 died. I was working as a server at another restaurant at the time. NO one was eating out then because they didn’t know it was just chi chis.

WhyHulud t1_itz5pln wrote

It was one store saving $0.05/ bunch on green onions by buying from a vendor that wasn't approved. People died for the restaurant to make a tiny bit more profit.

CARLEtheCamry t1_iu0zcym wrote

I never heard that before, have a source? I knew it was from green onions from Mexico I think, and the workers were shitting in the fields, but I thought that was more of a "how could they have known" thing when they buy green onions from their supplier.

WhyHulud t1_iu1126v wrote

Yeah, it's unfortunate that we were in bankruptcy court at the time, and the lawyers insisted we all stay quiet about it.

I guess it wasn't uncommon; workers didn't have sanitary places to go while in the fields. Some sick worker took a leak on the produce, and thousands of miles away someone died.

My source is the store's assistant manager. I was an AM at another store at the time. Chi-Chi's got a bunch of bad debt pushed on them by their parent company, who had 2 other chains that weren't doing well. They were looking for a buyer just before this hit. We even had Vince McMahon look at a couple of stores in the area. When this hit, it was the nail in the coffin.