Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

vers33 t1_ivghip1 wrote

Lucy in the strip for banh mi

deathofelysium t1_ivgp8l5 wrote

Came here to say this. The first time I went, I was skeptical, but man they’re fantastic.

bigdaddy1835 t1_ivglb1k wrote

Trams kitchen in bloomfield

jhc412 t1_ivh0ecl wrote

I'm half vietnamese and Trams is the closest to my mom's cooking I can find in Pgh

LockedOutOfElfland t1_ivhde8x wrote

I love how aggressively friendly the owner is lol

Will always drop by your table to make sure you are enjoying the meal!

jhc412 t1_ivi49k6 wrote

You mean the one arm guy that yells at you when you enter? Its charming :)

Brotein_Shakez t1_ivj7hs0 wrote

I’m 1/2 Vietnamese too! My mom is FOB (fresh off the boat) and makes crazy good Vietnamese.

Unethical_GOP t1_ivgi4st wrote

Two Sisters in East Liberty

labgrownfriend t1_ivgv3wy wrote

They give the most and best cuts of meat out of all locations I’ve been to!

stack_of_envelopes t1_ivh2y6e wrote

I can’t get behind this one. Was just there last week and while I agree that the meat was good, the broth wasn’t nearly as flavorful as I’d expect.

thereandfatagain t1_ivgoete wrote

Lucy's Banh Mi / Tram's Vietnamese

citsonga_cixelsyd t1_ivhtgaf wrote

I love Tram's. He's been there forever.

LockedOutOfElfland t1_ivmjy15 wrote

I'm halfway sure I first went there when visiting relatives who lived here from out of town back in '10. I distinctly remember a small Vietnamese restaurant with an elderly one-armed owner.

Wandered in there years later after moving here and was like, "wait, this looks familiar!"

Brotein_Shakez t1_ivj7fx6 wrote

Tram’s pho broth tastes like little Vietnamese angels kissed it.

Herowain t1_ivmaxxt wrote

Tram's spring rolls are the best fucking things I swear

BetterWithBacon t1_ivghcff wrote

Saigon 88 is worth the drive, best vietnamese I've ever had in the Burgh by a mile.

JustHereForTheSaul t1_ivh0hxp wrote

Is this the one in Robinson? I try to avoid Robinson because it's so far away, but yeah, that place is incredible.

tonydal66 t1_ivi4um0 wrote

I agree! Saigon 88 in Robinson in Steubenville pike is fantastic. The Pho broth is terrific and my favorite in the area. The folkd who run the place are also very nice and welcoming.

NickIllicit t1_ivjcqib wrote

They have the best pho I've ever had, between here and Nashville. It's so flavorful it blows everyone else out of the water! The family that owns it is also very friendly and exactly what you like to see from this kind of restaurant. Go there and support them if you are able.

AnewENTity t1_ivjjkq5 wrote

The sandwiches are amazing and the pho is the best I’ve ever had and I just came back from Seattle recently…

Not to mention they are the nicest folks ever

Ok-Twist921 t1_ivgsmn5 wrote

Saigon 88 in Robinson is a sleeper

jasontheninja47 t1_ivh2cnr wrote

Bahn Mi - Lucys in the Strip

Viet food - New Saigon Cafe in Dormont or Pho Kim 88

eamon2plz t1_iviquk4 wrote

ill never recover from pho kim 10/10 no naming notes allowed

manifest2000 t1_ivi4yl3 wrote

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Tan Lac Vien in Squirrel Hill.

kawey22 t1_ivifsx4 wrote

My favorite in Squirrel Hill!! Those seitan fresh rolls🤤🤤

ackitty-ack t1_ivgu4xl wrote

Pho Saigon in bethel park for bahn mi

Hypnodick t1_ivi400i wrote

They have good Vietnamese and pho here but def not a good Banh mi if I’m being honest.

fauxpasdiva t1_ivilis7 wrote

I’m a big fan of Tan Lac Vien in Squirrel Hill (it reminds me of pho I had in Seattle) and Pho Minh in Garfield. I like pho with all of the cartilage and tripe. I also love their broth. I was going to start a pho tasting You Tube channel. I’m pretty obsessed.

65wildcat_buick t1_ivgzysy wrote

Pho Saigon in South Park is good. Maiku Sushi in the strip district. Pho Kim 88. Not 100% Vietnamese but thai and noodle outlet is awesome

Dharmafollower t1_ivj68k6 wrote

Maiku in the Strip District near the 16th Street Bridge has the best Pho hands down. The secret is the broth. Husband and wife owned, only 6-7 tables. Try #9 (Beef Tendon Pho). The tendons are high in collagen, so the health effects are great as well!

ImSoChangry t1_ivhk7dq wrote

Maiku in the Strip is solid.

silly-lurker t1_ivj9pmy wrote

I like ineffible ca phe. Good sandwiches, cute setting, and outdoor seating.

not-evileye12 t1_ivhqbz7 wrote

I think Two Sisters has best Pho in the city. For Banh mi I've only really tried banh mi & ti in Lawrenceville, it always hits the spot. Apparently they're owned by the same people?

Any-Refrigerator6746 t1_ivk0idt wrote

Try out Banh Mi & Ti and Ineffable Ca Phe - they have my favorite sweet and savory banh mi (in that order)

gilsilvai t1_ivhrer4 wrote

Trams and Maiku are fire.

NebbyJohnny t1_ivjhfts wrote

Maiku Is great and it’s run by a hummus and and wife team. I’m a little piggy and get Pho and Bahn Mi!

zmilts t1_ivmh3v8 wrote

Not sure on bahn mi but for pho my favorite is tan lac in Murray ave in squirrel hill.

CL-MotoTech t1_ivgvs6e wrote

If you just want Bahn Mi, Lucy is the answer. I have had them all and I prefer Lucy.

For Vietnamese overall I can't honestly answer. I baby sat a Vietnamese kid for a while but his mom always insisted on making pizza and burgers for me, they were always terrible. So I never got as familiar with the more traditional dishes like I would have liked. Though that 3rd grader taught me how to use chop sticks like a fucking champ.

−1

MadameTree t1_ivh6vcm wrote

May not get as many votes as Lucy, but the Blue Sparrow truck serves my favorite

−1

KyleWittenhouse t1_ivglkz7 wrote

Not New Saigon in Dormont... very underwhelming

−5