Submitted by skyfire1977 t3_zw0xt5 in pittsburgh

Since Uncommon Market closed, I've been relying on Trader Joe's and Penzeys for spices, but I'm wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a shop in or around the South Hills.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ntovorni t1_j1sbmlt wrote

Penzeys is hard to beat, tbh. I don’t know anything else down this way really.

mrsrtz t1_j1sts48 wrote

Check out some Indian grocers, the ones I go to in Oakland have fresh spices and they are inexpensive.

CL-MotoTech t1_j1u70uq wrote

Buy them online. You can get higher quality spices at lower prices. Penzey's is great for quality, variety, and when you need it now, but the prices are outrageous. If you don't mind buying in bulk (I suggest you should do it), get a vacuum packer and freeze the spices you don't immediately need. I don't cook in any particularly large volume (family of 3 with some friends), but I have bought spices by the pound and used the above method to preserve it. I also find you can get some pretty wild ingredients online. It's also nice to not have to go out, and I say that as somebody that shops in the strip like twice a week.

shoeissues t1_j1uvj3g wrote

I’ve had surprisingly good luck at Marshall’s, especially for spice blends

Kichard t1_j1vrhmn wrote

Steel City Salt!!!

My rec’s- Any smoked salt,black truffle salt, black and gold blend. Their flavored sugars are great for fhe rim of a cocktail glass!!