Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

awesomepenn t1_j2bujmx wrote

One week from frozen pipes to open windows!

MonteBurns t1_j2buw1x wrote

Well this comment hits closer to home than I care to think…

Eubadom t1_j2b4o1z wrote

It ain't right

1stCaptainSkrall t1_j2bqghp wrote

Too warm for end of December. This shit sucks

imouttahereta t1_j2bz8tz wrote

Oh come on. Last week everyone was whining about how cold it was and I got downvoted for telling people to wear gloves and a coat. Now it's warm again and some are still finding a reason to complain. I for one enjoyed the white Christmas, spent a good amount of time outside while it was uber cold, and enjoyed the warm weather this week. Next month when it's cold again people will be bitching in no time.

−20

lilangryplum t1_j2c1igl wrote

This type of swing in the weather is alarming. It’s not complaining, it’s worrying.

Optimal_Ad_8671 t1_j2c7cwl wrote

It's not a problem for conservatives, because by the time the consequences are fully realized, they'll all be dead anyway.

But that's their approach to life in general...nothing is a problem, until it directly affects them. Then you bet your ass they'll be complaining why the government (who they routinely bash, lest we forget) didn't warn them or put a stop to it.

nrs320pitt t1_j2dvd4e wrote

It’s an odd combination. It’s obviously alarming and there is massive concern for global climate instability. That being said, it feels so damn nice you can’t deny.

Antique-Low3985 t1_j2dvqq1 wrote

"Climate change isn't about weather!"

"Oh my god it changed 30 degrees in a week as it usually does in Pittsburgh, climate change is horrible"

​

Pick one, fucking idiots.

−3

[deleted] t1_j2c5g87 wrote

[removed]

−21

Fizzyliftingdranks t1_j2c9ij6 wrote

I too remember 40 degree swings in temperature in 4 days. I’m also from Pleistocene so that may account for that. /s

imouttahereta t1_j2c2aa0 wrote

Sounds like confirmation bias. Just a few weeks ago I saw people claiming we'd never get a white Christmas again because of climate change, and we all know how that went. Now a cold snap followed by warm weather is worrying. Any change in weather conditions and any deviation from historical standards at any scale is concerning if you're looking for a reason to be concerned. I have lived in 3 different cities in the last decade or so and hear or read the same comments about the weather every year, either it's too cold or too warm, winter is too long or too short, weather too variable or not enough, etc.

−27

JohnBakedBoy t1_j2c3kv1 wrote

A sudden cold snap that brought 90% of the continental US to below freezing temps followed by 60 degree weather less than a week later is very strange and worrying. This is not something thats normal and happens very often.

enemy_of_your_enema t1_j2ccoeb wrote

Both unseasonably warm weather and bomb cyclones can be caused by climate change.

Antique-Low3985 t1_j2dw37l wrote

I guess there was never unreasonably warm weather before.

​

Huh, well would you look at that, in the 80s and 50s, there were temperatures in the high 60s and 70s: https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/pittsburgh/month-december/highest-temperatures

−2

enemy_of_your_enema t1_j2ev34w wrote

Interesting data! It makes you wonder if the frequency of hot December days has changed over time. Let's get more data!

We'd need to include temperatures from a longer time period - well before 1926 - to see if these temperatures are actually unusual and look for a trend. And to make our conclusions stronger, we should expand our scope to include average temperatures from all over the world, not just Pittsburgh. When you do that, you get something like this.

Antique-Low3985 t1_j2evi1i wrote

Really interesting point. So in contrast to the usual talking points that “it’s not just the climate getting warmer, it’s the fluctuations!” You’re saying it’s exclusively about the climate getting warmer?

It seems like your programming is outdated. It’s called “climate change”, not “global warming”, boomer.

imouttahereta t1_j2cdgf9 wrote

It seems true that the incidence of unusual weather events is increasing, but panicking over individual sudden changes in temperature, warmer/colder than normal temperature, unusual level of precipitation etc. is the modern equivalent of doomsayers predicting the apocalypse.

−16

enemy_of_your_enema t1_j2cdou5 wrote

Nobody is panicking. And this isn't the first bomb cylcone/polar vortex or unseasonably warm weather in recent memory.

dingurth1 t1_j2cpm9n wrote

its pretty easy to link all of that to the weakening of the jet stream, which yes is climate change, and could lead to devastating consequences like the collapse of the ocean circulatory system, unpredictable weather events destroying crops, and more high impact weather in general

The dominos are starting to fall bro and its not so hard to put one and one together

DexterPepper t1_j2d6msf wrote

This person really just said "Too warm for end of December. This shit sucks" about something you concede IS an increasing problem and you're still ready to call the whole thing apocalyptic climate panic. Yikes.

1stCaptainSkrall t1_j2c4nfo wrote

Yeah, it is worrying. It's supposed to be cold in December, not fucking springtime. I saw a motorcycle on the road to work today and I nearly forgot Christmas was last week. This shit isn't right.

_rabbit-hole_ t1_j2bu3xk wrote

It's like Mr. Snow Miser and Mr. Heat Miser are dueling it out to finish the year

ImInOverMyHead95 t1_j2c2mik wrote

It was warmer here than in Los Angeles this afternoon.

skiffles t1_j2c3fnz wrote

I take the trail to work daily, its so bizzare seeing ice still on the river but people jogging around in shorts and t shirts

MelismaticMaster t1_j2c85uo wrote

Ahhhh. Lawrenceville. I love this view. Thanks for a beautiful picture.

dpo466321 t1_j2ciitk wrote

Hope in and demonstrate the warmth XD

Argercy t1_j2d6zck wrote

You can see our area's extremes and means records...

It looks like a lot of record highs for winter in this region occurred in the late 1800s/early 1900s. This was also during the industrial revolution, so it makes sense that the highs would occur during that time, however you think it would have steadily gotten worse.

So why hasn't it gotten worse? I'm not saying that global warming isn't a thing or isn't detrimental, pollution is pollution and I'm all about keeping ecosystems in place, however "unusually high temp for this month" isn't the smoking gun folks tend to think it is.

−10