Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TurbulentSurprise292 t1_j1bz8ax wrote

Agree you’re doing the right thing with leaving now. I also left today to avoid being possibly stuck on Saturday. In terms of the cats, I agree with the person above. Could you also possibly take them with you?

panther5634 OP t1_j1bzpzr wrote

This is definitely a possibility I’d just feel so bad distressing them. My parents have a cat too so they’d have to stay in my room, I’d much rather just have someone check on them but I don’t even know if my neighbors would be willing.

psychopompandparade t1_j1c0xd5 wrote

I'm not sure there's a non distressing or potentially distressing option here, unfortunately. You could try to see if there's a place they could stay that has openings - i grew up with dogs, though so I don't know if there's a kennel equivalent. but that'd be distressing too. I'd suggest looking for a reputable pet sitter who is willing to talk to you about contingencies, but if you want to leave now, its a little late for that.

Yes, its distressing to spend the time in your room, but if they have you, toys they trust, and a little box, you can at least know they'd be safe. That'd be my choice, if my parents were willing to let me do that. I suspect parents will understand that you made this choice because you wanted to be sure you were there for the holidays and will do what they can to accommodate.

But again, I don't have cats, so I'm not sure how these things work that well. Best of luck. Hopefully you won't lose power either way while you are out of the house. I suggest preparing your place best you can just in case, cats or know, which means dripping the faucets and making sure everything is as sealed as it can be. Also, maybe empty the fridge/move it to the freezer. Annoyingly, even if your house dips quite cold, your fridge can still spoil. But none of those things matter as much as your safety.

panther5634 OP t1_j1clcuj wrote

We decided not to create any more chaos for them and sealed all the windows with blankets and insulated curtains. Left them plenty of food and water and gave them their favorite wet food before we left. My partner is going to check on them Sunday morning. I think we made the right call being with our families the next couple days and the cats are going to fine – our place runs pretty warm and I don’t think one day in 55-60° will be bad. All is good. Thanks for your tips though, I appreciate it!

psychopompandparade t1_j1clmhu wrote

hopefully your power will stay on. there may be ways to check that without being there - your router might be one. Nextdoor might be another, as much as I'm loathe to send ppl that way. if the power is out for a while you can reconsider what to do. I hope things work out for you and the kitties!

panther5634 OP t1_j1cn785 wrote

Yeah I’m hopeful the power isn’t an issue at all, it’s definitely possible that all will be fine. I have cameras at the apartment so if the power goes out I figured I’ll lose that connection and know then. If it’s out for more than a few hours we have some backup plans in place. Thanks again for your help, have a safe and happy holiday weekend!!