Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

psychopompandparade t1_j1bz2b0 wrote

What are people who only have electric heat supposed to do? This is a genuine question. Other than leave the faucets dripping and make a blanket fort, of course - those are already the plans.

Sweaty_Motor2790 t1_j1c10a9 wrote

Gas heat is the same. You need electricity for the pumps on boilers and air handlers on furnaces.

psychopompandparade t1_j1c1bec wrote

oh i had no idea! well then, same question applies for that too. Though if you have a gas stove I think you can at least boil water and food and keep yourself warmer that way - though absolutely do NOT try to heat your house with it, that's either going to cause poisoning or explosions or both. But you can use it to fill hot water bottles and keep yourself warmer.

I'm also worried because the heat is pretty much the only thing thats gonna keep pipes from exploding, too.

Carrion-Soup t1_j1cwjg3 wrote

Blankets over windows and doors to help keep heat in, towels under doors too

If you have a tent absolutely use it in a power outage situation, putting a few blankets over it will help keep it warmer, and sleeping bags are very warm too

Layers, heat is trapped between layers of clothes

Do not let yourself get/be wet

Staying in one smaller room and not opening the door a lot

Keep flashlights, bottled water, and food handy

Charge everything now; phone, laptop, battery packs, etc

If you have pets keep them with you and keep them warm too, make sure they have access to fresh food and water wherever you cozy up at

Keep your fridge/freezer shut

Be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning

Be safe friend!

psychopompandparade t1_j1eqk91 wrote

Thanks for all these tips - I hope they help other people too! So far, I still have power and water (and even internet!) but that could all change quite quickly. Keeping everything plugged in and charged, for sure, and water bottles topped off. I have plastic tarps and stuff that I can tape over the windows more easily than a blanket, if that works as well?

TransporterOffline t1_j1c1zne wrote

I know it's mostly forbidden by landlords for renters, but a kerosene heater is essential in this type of situation. I personally use a Mr Heater Big Buddy + propane tank instead. You can vent the air by leaving a window slightly open for draft. It's perfectly safe, as long as you're monitoring the flame and not running out for errands away from home with it burning.

psychopompandparade t1_j1c2sal wrote

a little late to get one for this storm though. i talked my mom into buying one a while ago so we could spend time outside for covid reasons, but she took it back with her. i feel better knowing have it at least even if its not meant yo get as bad where they live.

if we lose power here maybe ill ask neighbors on next door or something but ill put it on my list of things to get when i have the money for the future.

do you have any suggestions for past last minute? im googling how to boil water with tealights.... so thats where im at