Submitted by whenitrains71 t3_zz76qi in pittsburgh

Hi all, prefacing by saying I know these posts have been made before (most recent 4 months ago) and just want to check in if anything has changed.

I am starting a new position at Presby in the new year, and weighing my options. Live in Lawrenceville and don’t know what my best option will be. I am near the Children’s shuttle stop (I know there’s a Children’s loop- don’t know where it goes), and right off Butler so easy access for a bus.

Any tips for cheap/free parking either daily or monthly? Thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AirtimeAficionado t1_j2a5hw1 wrote

The Children’s bus is a great option that shuttles between the two— this option is free. It is designed to shuttle between Children’s and Presby. The 93 bus is another good option, operates long hours and shuttles between Oakland and Lawrenceville.

There is no free or cheap parking.

Potential-Store-5293 t1_j2a24wg wrote

I think the best bet would be to get on the children's loop shuttle and just ride it. If you live close enough to walk to the shuttle stop. It stops right at Presby

MrSchenleyMD t1_j2a1vmr wrote

Parking near the hospital is limited and relatively expensive, unless you are one of the lucky ones to have parking included as a benefit.

A lot of UPMC employees park at the Towerview garage, which is like a ten minute walk down a hill to the hospital. I don’t know what the cost is off the top of my head, though. There’s another employee lot near the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial, but again, I don’t know prices offhand. It’s about the same distance, but much less hilly.

Honestly, if you live near the Children’s Hospital, the shuttle is a viable option for you if you don’t mind riding a bus to and from work. I don’t know exactly where it stops in Oakland these days because there’s so much construction around Presby, but it usually has multiple stops within a block. I did that exact commute during med school when I lived in Lawrenceville for a summer, and it was really easy (and free!)

whenitrains71 OP t1_j2a4jsm wrote

Thanks so much! I was thinking the shuttle should be my choice but this pretty much is solidifying it. I looked into employee parking permits and they don’t have them available for any close lots anyway!

RagnarHedin t1_j2affrt wrote

Forget parking, but if thay shuttle takes you all the way up Terrace Street, you've got it made! I can't believe I can't find a map of the Children's Loop. There's a shuttle tracker app for ios that gets lackluster reviews, but it could come in handy when you're waiting for the bus.

MrSchenleyMD t1_j2ai962 wrote

For whatever reason, the UPMC shuttle schedule is on their internal employee Infonet, not the public-facing websites.

Lenins_Kittens t1_j2aei9h wrote

Children's Shuttle can be a bit random, jsyk. Make sure to download the app