Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

1029Dash t1_j28m05p wrote

I wish they use those end zones all the time

Eubadom t1_j29841x wrote

I wish they would bring back the block numbers. They looked so good last week.

pubercuts t1_j28qdi2 wrote

Can’t do them all the time because of Pitt but I’d love to see them brought back every late Nov-December

jralll234 t1_j28tv94 wrote

They could. They choose not to.

xSWMY t1_j2a98lb wrote

It would be very difficult on the staff id imagine. I don’t blame them for not

pa_bourbon t1_j2aj1gq wrote

It’s much harder (impossible?) to wash paint off of real turf as compared to articulate turf.

jralll234 t1_j2ajtng wrote

It’s not nearly as difficult considering both teams use similar shades of yellow. It just requires work that they don’t want to pay for.

−1

pa_bourbon t1_j2ak3aq wrote

It’s why one end zone says “pittsburgh” while both seasons are going.

They spend plenty of money there. That field has been re-sodded at least 3-4 times this season alone.

It’s not an issue of being cheap.

jralll234 t1_j2alr8f wrote

Yes, it is. They don’t want to pay for it. They could pay people to do more work but they won’t. That is the definition of being cheap.

−2

pa_bourbon t1_j2anxwf wrote

You can only re-sod a field so often. What would you suggest they do when Pitt plays the same weekend as the Steelers?

You can’t wash paint off of grass. The re-sodded field needs time to re-root - you can’t change it every time they play.

jralll234 t1_j2aooyg wrote

Removable field marking paint can be washed off with water. They don’t want to spend the money.

Or, they can install field turf like they should have done 21 years ago. The grass at Heinz has been the worst in football ever since.

−1

pa_bourbon t1_j2arq3m wrote

The grass is by far the more expensive choice over field turf, thereby negating your cheapness argument. The grass requires a full field heating system and as I’ve said, they’ve re-sodded it 3-4 times this season already.

Also, the NFLPA overwhelmingly prefers playing on grass too for injury reasons.

jralll234 t1_j2astdr wrote

So like I said, they could, but they choose not to. What’s the fucking argument?

And Heinz has been voted the worst playong surface in the league numerous times by the players, negating the NFLPA argument.

−2

pa_bourbon t1_j2au82e wrote

Those surveys were in the first 10-12 years the stadium was open. That entire field - not just the grass - the soil and all - was replaced after a U2 concert in 2017.

And there are two different organizations involved in that stadium. The Steelers might be willing to pay. Pitt likely has a very different budget structure they are dealing with for their operation.

But keep getting madder.

jralll234 t1_j2aup3o wrote

This has been a discussion in Pitt circles for years, and it’s generally well known the Rooney are adamant about it.

Accusing someone that disagrees with you of being mad is weak.

pa_bourbon t1_j2b1zfg wrote

The Rooneys not wanting a field to be a mess for a big business NFL football game because a college team that can’t come close to selling out the stadium unless it’s penn state or WVU desires to repaint the end zone seems like an OK position for the Rooneys to take in my book.

You started with the obscenities - hence the “mad” comment.

jralll234 t1_j2bhgg0 wrote

Paint isn’t going to make it a mess it’s going to cost them money. And the field is still shit.

And swearing doesn’t indicate anger.

The Steelers don’t sell out much anymore either.

You’re just saying shit now.

−1

pa_bourbon t1_j2biic1 wrote

Don’t confuse attendance with tickets sold. They sell them all - as all but a very few are season tickets. I am a season ticket holder and have been for years.

The paint isn’t the mess. Washing it off destroys the grass.

You’re one of those that needs the last word so I’ll give it to you. I’m done.

av-gas t1_j2ap21i wrote

When you consider how much of a beating the fields take and how many players get injured when the fields are in rough shape, putting additional wear and tear on the field just to repaint the grass from Saturday to Sunday is not ideal.

___cats___ t1_j29at0p wrote

Those end zones just felt right.

1stCaptainSkrall t1_j28q0up wrote

You know what sucks? Now I have my official boomer Yinzer line. "Back when Heinz Field was still Heinz Field and not Acupuncture Stadium"

Dubjaxx2020 t1_j2b9m05 wrote

Wish they’d bring these back along with the block number jerseys!!

tempestveil t1_j28pbm9 wrote

they look great, love em'