Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CasualFriday11 t1_j6556up wrote

The Forge for drinks beforehand. If you want an app, the Old World Falafel is life changing. (I didn't know falafel could taste that good)

Dinner afterwards, in that area:

-Morcilla: Spanish tapas. A little pricy but incredibly unique for the city and also unique as far as Spanish tapas places go.

-The Parlor Dim Sum: Get a bunch of dumplings in all shapes and sizes. Great for sharing, and an excellent cocktail list.

-The Vandal: contemporary American food. I haven't been since they remodeled, but prior to, it was a cut above in this highly represented genre in the city.

-Bar Botanico: after dinner drinks spot if you stay in the area. They're GREAT!

Others less close by:

-Apteka: vegan Polish food. They have a pop-up right now, so it may be impossible to get in until after next week. They're THE MOST unique restaurant in the city, simply because I don't think there's another restaurant in America making food like they are (it's why they made the NYT top 50 list)

-Gi-Jin: Raw fish bar. They're doing unique things with raw fish and rolls which I haven't seen outside of PGH, let alone in the city.

-40 North at Alphabet City: Upscale Asian inspired cuisine. The setting in a bookstore is unique on its own. Don't let that deceive you, the quality is on another level here.

-Spork: also upscale/commentary American. Great service, fun dishes. Expensive, but at my last visit I was given two or three amuse-bouche which I did not select. Worth it, to me. Try the crispy octopus!

Let me know if you have any questions!

CasualFriday11 t1_j66mnk2 wrote

I'm at EYV and just add it to the list. Broccoli Chicharrones, and the Meat in Potatoes are dishes I've never seen before. The mushroom barley risotto is the most well executed barley risotto I've ever had. Dessert is still coming. BYOB right now as they sort out their liquor license