Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

More-Adhesiveness-54 t1_j50c7iw wrote

Been to Louisville a few times. It's not that similar to Pgh, but I could see someone connecting them because they're river valley towns with historically blue collar origins. Put it like this -- Pgh has some similarities with Cincinnati, and Cincinnati definitely has similarities with Louisville (they're < 100 mi apart), but outside of a couple things (e.g., river valley towns), what makes Pgh and Cincy similar doesn't really seem like what makes Cincy and Louisville similar. Not sure if that makes sense.

I sometimes wonder if these polls look like this because a lot of cities that are pretty similar to Pgh are way smaller in size (e.g., Cumberland, Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, Johnstown, Binghamton -- even places like Roanoke), so they don't get brought up because of the size differential. What do I know, though.

James19991 t1_j50fhke wrote

I get exactly what you mean. I said to someone yesterday that Pittsburgh and Cleveland may have similarities in terms of the people of both places, but Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have way more in common in terms of architecture and layout. There is a small Southern influence on the culture of Cincinnati that Pittsburgh simply doesn't have.

I totally agree with your second paragraph as well. Cumberland, Johnstown, or Altoona would probably be considered the most alike city to us if populations were more similar. The same could possibly apply to Wilkes-Barre Scranton, as they have a fairly large Eastern European population comparable to here and Cleveland.