Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TheSausageFattener t1_j7ujumg wrote

Reply to comment by _DataVenia in Commute from Boston by chocosunn

After a few years in both cities I feel like I need a car to fully take advantage of living in Providence versus in “Boston” I could take transit most places pretty quickly.

I put Boston in quotes because the transit connections mean you can pretty cheaply and quickly go all over the entire region. When I wanted to go to Lincoln Woods I’d usually have to drive unless I caught the 54 bus. But, in Boston I can do a pretty cheap $30 day trip to Newburyport, Rockport, Salem, Wachusett, Hull, Quincy, etc. I actually did the Providence Ferry over the summer after taking a train in and while it was a pain in the ass to have to transfer, that was a good feather in the cap.

The fact of the matter is it’s tough to run out of stuff to do in a well connected metro area. Theres plenty of neighborhoods to explore.

_DataVenia t1_j7x4cys wrote

The public transportation options from Boston were amazing. We lived right next to North Station. Feel like going to Portland? Amtrak is right there and gets you there quicker than driving. Provincetown? The fast ferry is a short walk away and avoids all that Cape traffic.

TheSausageFattener t1_j7x9ppa wrote

Thats one of the things that sold it for me, that and more career growth options. If I miss Providence, I go there for $10 round trip for a day or even a weekend with friends. Come Sunday I can usually leave satisfied. Boston’s got so much you’d have to do that a lot to exhaust your options.

As you pointed out its a literal hub for so many destinations too. Living in Providence lets you live near Boston, but living in Boston lets you get to a bunch of cities sized like Providence.

Also, not gonna lie, its not that much cheaper. Its variable by the age of the units on the East Side but many of the studios and 1 beds are in a similar range, especially near transit hubs. On the aggregate its cheaper, but Im also in the camp where I felt like I needed to spend $300 a month on having a car in Providence.