Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Jumpy_Ring8409 t1_j9gbamg wrote

Blackies in Smithfield, RI not far from Providence. I can't do gluten and they put a sticker on your meal with what your allergy is.

citrus_mystic t1_j9i5rev wrote

Al Forno is very accommodating and will do things like even clean the grill to prevent the risk of cross contamination for severe allergies if necessary. Also no peanuts in the building.

If it’s not: the shrimp and mushroom salad, clams Al Forno appetizer, or the spaghetti with roasted clams, you should be safe!

bannanas_panda t1_j9gq3xb wrote

I believe that is the 110 Grill has won awards for being good with allergies

NeptuneNancy42 t1_j9ggzct wrote

I don’t have any restaurant recommendations for you, but if your boyfriend lives in New England, check out https://www.nefoodallergy.org

They have offices in West Hartford, CT and Quincy, MA. My son did the protocols for peanuts and treenuts at the CT office when he was in high school. After the initial visit, one goes back every two weeks to up-dose, so if you have to travel, it’s not too bad.

It’s not a cure but it is life-changing in that he no longer has to worry about cross-contamination. As long as a meal doesn’t contain peanuts or treenuts, he’s good! We can go to restaurants without pre-planning everything these days.

TheF0restSpirit t1_j9rem7o wrote

!! Upvoted this!! I’ve been doing sesame desensitization with them in the Quincy office for a year and a half now. From severe GI anaphylaxis to dosing myself with tahini every day. Was funny being 30 in an office where the average age of the patient is 5 years old. Highly recommend.

NeptuneNancy42 t1_j9rfnhn wrote

My son was in early high school at the time and was "old!" Glad it worked out for you, too!

As it turned out, my son was patient #1 for the walnut protocol.

-kris-wilson- t1_j9hpjcy wrote

Bayberry beer hall is well versed in allergies and cross contamination

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j9gc14m wrote

are there restaurants in places that are not good with this stuff? Like, as long as the person with the allergy is letting the server know, I don't think there's many places that willingly endanger their customer's lives, right?

−3

NeptuneNancy42 t1_j9gh68g wrote

It depends on how careful the kitchen is, because cross-contamination can make someone very ill.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j9h5u1r wrote

That can obviously happen, but isn't that near the tippy-top of the list of "shit to not do"?

−2

NeptuneNancy42 t1_j9hdmzh wrote

In talking to staff, you get a sense of how familiar they are in dealing with food allergies. If you’re not comfortable with the response, you eat elsewhere. Sometimes they tell you they’ve all had training, sometimes they brush you off. If it’s the latter, you go somewhere else, as they likely aren’t cleaning surfaces, using new utensils, etc., before making your meal.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j9hgm9w wrote

Crazy. I’d think this would be up there with like hand washing and like proper cooking / refrigeration or whatever.

I don’t have food allergies but I’m not sure I’d want to fuck with a place that’d cut those corners.