Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Status_Silver_5114 t1_isegars wrote

To quote that link “While you can’t charge more than a month’s rent in a security deposit, the law does not appear to prohibit a pet premium, or an increase in your rent to cover the pet(s) and any damage.

We have been experimenting with a $35 per month pet premium”

As a landlord I’m not going to rely on an experiment but instead follow the law (which does in fact state a limit on the amount of money I can ask from a tenant). That’s not statute that’s an experiment.

canibringmydog t1_isel3nf wrote

Rhode Island landlords can charge whatever rent for whatever reason. They can also raise the rent upon renewal to any amount for any reason. Pets fall under “any reason”.

Status_Silver_5114 t1_isen142 wrote

No. They can’t. I’m taking specifically about security deposits/ it’s spelled out.

canibringmydog t1_iseno6v wrote

Ohhh I thought we were speaking on pet rent. And also about rent, yes they can. I have spoken with a lawyer about the rent. And it’s in the landlord tenant handbook.

Status_Silver_5114 t1_ises4vc wrote

Yeah but pet rent is just trying to work around the deposit statute imho. I think it’s sketch

ProvBroker t1_iseu80p wrote

It’s completely legal to make an increase to the base rent amount for pets.

You can’t demand a refundable holding deposit above and beyond the one months periodic rent, which is why ‘pet deposits’ are illegal. There is only one exception to this one months periodic rent rule, and that is for furnished apartments that meet certain criteria.

Source: am expert

canibringmydog t1_isfcjs3 wrote

I agree entirely. But unless there’s a specific law against it, and a tenant agrees, it’s fair game. Awful tenant rights in this state.

Status_Silver_5114 t1_isiulk7 wrote

And FFS if you raise the rent on a pet owner just raise the damn rent across the board - or better yet don’t and realize you already have the law on your side re damages And get over yourself.