Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hoeliness_ t1_it0tjno wrote

Cable car cinema was the first date with my boyfriend and I’m so sad it’s closed 😢 we love Avon Theater though!

Evening in fox point, theres a cute little neighborhood with multiple restaurants (Noodles 102, Chomp Kitchen, Tallulah’s.) Take a lap around the block, go to Twenty Stories bookstore, then share some Kow Kow afterward! Westminster Street is another street you can spent an evening store hopping, grabbing a bite to eat (Mokban Korean bistro is our go to in the area) and bar hopping in the area as well.

There’s a pinball museum in Pawtucket. RISD museum is amazing- grab coffee at a local cafe before you start your museum trip, and so many good places to grab a bite to eat after, you can’t go wrong choosing one. there’s the natural history museum in Roger Williams, botanical garden and greenhouse there as well. You could spend a good chunk of the day just walking around Roger Williams. Get a cute picnic basket and bring your own lunch and blanket, sparkling cider or something a little stronger.

You can easily take the train from Providence Station to Boston. For inexpensive transportation you’ll have to do a bit of planning beforehand and learn to read the train maps once you get into Boston, but it can be a fun day trip! Or take the bus from Kennedy plaza into Newport, do the Cliff Walk, walk Thames Street and grab a nice bite on the water. It’ll be quieting down this time of year, too.

If you wanna do a lil fancy brunch, Bayberry Garden is beauutifulll and very tasty. They also have a more casual beer hall which I haven’t tried but would love to.

Providence Flea has all year round Sunday markets. Cool display of amazing local artisans. Hope St Farmers market’s last outdoor markets are the next two Saturdays - one of my favorite things to do! Veggie & meat farmers, other food vendors, as well as local artisans gather in the Hope St park. Just a few streets down, you can go to Jordan’s Jungle. Even if you don’t plan on purchasing any new plant babies, it’s still an awesome place to just walk through.

RandomChurn t1_it23it9 wrote

> Evening in fox point, theres a cute little neighborhood with multiple restaurants

OP, from a Fox Point resident, just a note that if you do this loop, do it Wed-Sun. Nearly all these littles are closed Mon-Tues. And as an addendum to this loop, you fan actually start it by parking on East St or any of the cross streets parallel to Wickenden between Wickenden and 195, and then cross over the pedestrian bridge (great view of the bay, port and confluence of Seekonk and Providence Rivers, then walk India Point Park. There's an adjacent brewery you can visit right there, then you can circle back to your car or leave it there and do the loop through lower Ives St.

And if I may, I'll second the trips to Roger Williams Park and add the planetarium that's hidden away there. Last fall, the Natural History Museum featured a rare behind-the-scenes tour in which we and four other lucky participants got to do a literal hands-on trip through the stored collection not on display -- take dinosaur bones out of drawers and handle them, large mineral specimens .. it was a remarkable opportunity I can't imagine having anywhere else. Call them and ask when they're doing it again.

Ladd Observatory always has been open to the public Tuesday evenings after dark on clear nights. Antique telescope.

AS220 is unique. Visit the bar and see if you like the vibe. BC (Before Covid) they hosted a broad range of art, music, performance events, and a lot of it hands on. Their vision has always been that art and shows aren't just for the highly gifted. You make art and want to show it, that's your spot. Or just hang out and make stuff.

MissFrothingslosh t1_it2d1u9 wrote

AS220 is really getting back into the swing of things and I was happy to see them hosting virtual events throughout the lockdown.

rbourget95 t1_itg9f8a wrote

Ladd has been closed since covid. As of 2 months ago Brown hasn't reopened.

TheCyborganizer t1_it2ty66 wrote

You're selling the pinball museum a little short in my opinion - it's a cross between "museum" and "arcade". Most of the machines work, and $10 gets you unlimited free play on all of them. They also have a bunch of classic arcade cabinets (e.g. NBA Jam, Cruisin' World) and other arcade games like skee ball and air hockey.

Jtownusa t1_iu7ntvq wrote

Off the top of your head, do you remember if they have The Adam's Family pinball machine? It was my all time favorite.

TheCyborganizer t1_iu8squq wrote

I 100% have played that machine there, but the last time I was there (a few weeks ago) I don't remember seeing it. They cycle the machines around - repairs, trade shows, expos - so it might not be available for play today. Go there and ask or message them on Facebook, they're super nice.

[deleted] t1_it2u8xj wrote

[deleted]

anemonemometer t1_it3t3jp wrote

I’m glad for confirmation though, it’s be really disappointing to go to one that was hands off.