Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

oolongfog t1_iunabdh wrote

From what I hear from friends who are in late 20s, finding ppl in similar age range is kinda rough (if that applies to you). Also idk if this matters to you but even tho there are pockets of diversity, I wouldn’t say it’s very diverse. Not sure how PVD compares to Denver tho. I’m also Asian and the same age btw—feel free to DM me if you have any more PVD-related questions

its_howi t1_iunz1y2 wrote

I’m an asian guy who’s in their mid 20s that grew up in RI. Disregarding the colleges and universities in Prov (Brown, RISD, etc) there isn’t much diversity in terms of an Asian population. I think it’s gotten better over the years but definitely doesn’t compare to like Boston but I do imagine it might be better than Denver (visited for the first time last year, absolutely gorgeous out there). Dating scene I heard can be tough for young professionals around here (luckily I met my gf in college right before I graduated) but not impossible. For the OP, I think you just have to find where you fit in. PVD is diverse in the different things you can do so don’t lose faith if it seems challenging at first to find your footing.

noungning t1_iuo7vmb wrote

I'm going to sound old AF, but I guess in my generation it was very diverse. I'm Asian, went to school in Providence, and almost 30% of my class was Asian.

commandantskip t1_iuochae wrote

5.5% of people living in PVD identify as Asian, which is pretty small compared to other ethnicities (although it's the highest population in the state). Do you think having a large percentage of Asians in your graduating class speaks more to which neighborhood you lived in?

Educational_Leg36 t1_iuoobkw wrote

I stand by that you can't just limit anything pvd to just providence. Providence is small but the metro area extends far. Not only that alot of people from outside the city work or go to school in providence, even in public schools you have alot of kids from out of the city. so you kind ot exclude alot of people by just keeping it providence only.

Big Asian population in Cranston and I'm sure alot of them socialize in providence, especially since there's nothing to do in Cranston lol

noungning t1_iuojbn6 wrote

Yeah, they're concentrated in the Smith Hill, Mount Pleasant, Olneyville portions of the city. I had friends in Classical, Mount Pleasant, Central and Hope High. I think most of us have moved out from these areas so hence we are not helping with diversification in Providence.

Flyest90 t1_iunb6q6 wrote

Wish I met someone like you when I first moved out here lol