Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

radioflea t1_j00qcmv wrote

We have space around the state (memorial hospital for example) where permanent housing could be easily established.

The state has the most money we’ve ever had and yet the state still can’t get out of its own way.

In addition to housing we also need to put some focus on workforce development. I realize not every homeless individual would be eligible for this but many could benefit from job carving.

This is just one example of creating a workforce and simultaneously addressing a sanitation issues: https://www.governing.com/work/harris-county-looks-to-expand-homeless-payment-program

Moonracerrex t1_j022eem wrote

When that has been attempted before (NyLo) the neighbors lost their minds.

radioflea t1_j025w1k wrote

Speaking from personal experience a big part of a new program is how it’s rolled out to the community. I’m not surprised to hear it wasn’t well received in Warwick, I wouldn’t consider that part of the state to be progressive.

Nearly every city/town in the state now has a homeless population and could benefit from permanent housing. If housing is established they also have to also pair it with medical, education, and workforce opportunities.