Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bpear t1_j1w4m15 wrote

The West End is hit or miss depending on the street really.

The area between Cranston St and Westminster is nice.

If you don't mind sharing what street or general area are you on?

I'd look in the armory district, the area surrounding Dexter park. Also check out parts of federal hill. Closer to Broadway. I use to live there and never had any issues.

AltruisticBowl4 t1_j1wcksg wrote

Would second that there are lots of places on the West End that are super lovely—sort of street by street. I've lived in several spots between Cranston and Atwells (so, West End → Fed Hill) and had only good experiences. Fox Point is lovely as well but it is quite young + sometimes a little too "college student" vibes for me.

Tordek_Battlebeard t1_j1w55ai wrote

I'm by the High school on Fricker St. I'll do some digging on these areas and see what comes up.

bpear t1_j1w6kcb wrote

With an $1800 budget you could find something in a really nice area of Providence.

https://www.grantmill.com/floorplans

not_after_last_time t1_j1x8mev wrote

I lived in Grant Mill for two years and can recommend it. Bit noisy, but that's that whole neighborhood in general. There is a parking lot and you can request guest passes as needed.

buffchix13 t1_j1zqwb3 wrote

Come over by Dexter park. It’s still has its risk but heck of a lot less than the area you currently live in

listen_youse t1_j1woenf wrote

Who advised you to move in there? Any direction you go from there things get different pretty quick.

It's as if there is some kind of system in place that ensures anyone in the whole state having certain kinds of trouble has to keep moving along until they end up on that 4 block stretch of Broad St. How else could every other town congratulate itself for not being a shithole like Providence?

−1

allhailthehale t1_j20puo3 wrote

I live in the 'nice' part of the west end (on the park) and there's still plenty of property/petty crime to go around. Certainly it makes up for it in lots of other ways, but this person is pretty obviously looking to avoid property crime as their primary objective.

OP, I honestly would not listen to any of the advice in this whole discussion.

bpear t1_j20rpgx wrote

I mean where OP is is a serious hot spot for consistent daily crime. I'd stay out of reach of the high school. The surrounding blocks there are notorious for issues. You don't need to go far for the neighborhood to get a lot better.

Other parts of the West End don't really compare. Petty crime exists anywhere in the city. But there are plenty of spots in the west end that you don't need to live in daily fear that your car windows are smashed.

The neighborhood and whole city really can vary greatly just street by street.

allhailthehale t1_j25gu1c wrote

I've lived in the west end for 12 years. I am aware that it's a fine place to live. I'm also perfectly aware that some level of crime is normal in a city.

Even within the last five years, even within in my small three flat building there have been multiple car break ins and my neighbor had his wheels stolen.
It's a livable level of crime-- I'm not freaking out about it. But OP specifically asked for locations with very little crime outside of Providence. This is a bad answer to the question they asked, as are most of the answers in this discussion.