Submitted by LeverClever t3_zzai8h in providence

Got a lot of upper back and neck pain and my acupuncturist recommended I see a chiropractor. Wondering if anyone here has had good experiences with a chiropractor in and around PVD.

​

Edit: didn't realize this post would start the alternative vs conventional medicine debate. don't really care if it's a chiropractor, MD, DO or a physical therapist, just want something that ideally is covered by my insurance and works.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lionofyhwh t1_j2aghrq wrote

Go to an actual doctor. Chiropractors are quacks and you have a decent shot of ending up actually injured or worse.

mantisMD97 t1_j2bo3wf wrote

Many of them suck but many are good. People thinking that only western medicine works is seriously absurd. Preventative western medicine is a joke and only for profit. If you believe in things like taking statins and continuing to eat garbage instead of changing your diet you are a clown.

LeverClever OP t1_j2aj4le wrote

Point taken, I do agree that about 80% or so are useless. I'm looking for the top 20% that know what they're doing hence why I'm posting on here.

−1

Parlor-soldier t1_j2bj2xk wrote

You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.

huh_phd t1_j2dj6h8 wrote

That other 20% would be a DO who has lots of experience doing OMM/OMT. I did it once for my neck and it was pretty helpful.

aKnowing t1_j2aj396 wrote

I think if there was a good chance of ending up injured or worse there wouldn’t be so many chiropractors with solid business

−8

DialJforJasper t1_j2asx2k wrote

Go to a physical therapist instead!

LeverClever OP t1_j2avvc4 wrote

Got any recs?

camartinart t1_j2bt0ks wrote

I went to Elite Physical Therapy in North Smithfield a few years ago, and liked my experience.

LilOrganicCoconut t1_j2c523e wrote

Performance Physical Therapy has a lot of locations across RI. Have used them twice for a spinal and pelvic injury - would recommend.

Alphanerd0515 t1_j2b7k2f wrote

Occupational therapist here. Definitely go to a chiropractor. PTs can work on back and neck stuff but they focus more on walking and ambulating.

−2

BobSacamano97 t1_j2bcykv wrote

If an OT recommends a chiropractor, I’d find a new OT.

Alphanerd0515 t1_j2bdkp9 wrote

Well maybe that’s the point 😂

−1

BobSacamano97 t1_j2depai wrote

The point is to lose patients and have them decline your care? Are you sure you went to OT school?

DialJforJasper t1_j2cmxj8 wrote

Major red flag considering you’re a healthcare professional.

Chiropractors are a step above witch doctors👎🏻

Alphanerd0515 t1_j2e1k9b wrote

Ah yes sorry for stating the facts that PTs work more with mobility and chiropractors works more with neck and back pain. Sorry you guys have not had the pleasure of working with a good chiropractor. Of course there are some out there who are not good. The same can be said for some PTs and OTs. Can a PT help OP with this? But that is not their focus.

And let’s say for shits and giggles that OP does require more intensive therapies like rehab…Just the fact that PT is being recommended when back and neck problems would most likely fall into an OT referral says everything.

OP do all your research and see what is going to benefit you the best ☺️

DialJforJasper t1_j2e3pso wrote

There’s a reason chiropractors aren’t affiliated with hospitals.

…they’re not real ✨doctors✨

Alphanerd0515 t1_j2eay45 wrote

Maybe in Rhode Island, but that is a false claim. There are a lot of hospitals that have chiropractors. The problem is the caseloads are usually not high and it does not make the hospitals enough money. Most Hospitals are in a business in making money. Anyone that works in one can tell you that. Also if they were witch doctors it would not be a covered expense in many insurances. Clearly we won’t have similar views and that’s okay.

camartinart t1_j2bsq6m wrote

I second the physical therapy route. I’ve tried chiropractic and have come to agree with its reputation as dangerous quackery. Physical therapy has helped me with everything from lockjaw to acute knee pain. Chiropractic has only ever worsened my particular chronic issues. Wherever you end up, I hope you find what works for you. Being in pain is exhausting.

huh_phd t1_j2dj2vi wrote

Do not go to a chiropractor.

riotous_jocundity t1_j2ama58 wrote

Ellen McNally at PVD Chiropractic is great. She's certified in active release techniques and specializes in treatment for athletes, so she's not a "woo woo" chiropractor. She'll also assign you physical therapy exercises and stretches.

LeverClever OP t1_j2anm5u wrote

This is the type of chiropractor I'm looking for, thanks!

roshashana t1_j2bxw2y wrote

I came here to recommend Ellen as well!! She is more than just a chiropractor. I have learned so much from her about taking care of my body holistically and I am much better off for it.

−1

coffeeandcrafty t1_j2bpd2g wrote

Dr. Tim at Primal Physical therapy corrected years of pain with dry needling. Check it out.

−1

nicknack24 t1_j2eu6vi wrote

Despite what reddit will have you believe a lot of chiropractors actually do go to medical school and are also licensed physical therapists. Manzolillo Chiropractic on Broadway is one such legitimate place that I would recommend.

−1

briana-mullens t1_j2akpg6 wrote

Dr Aaron Salinger at Balance Chiropractic and Wellness is awesome! I have several friends who have gone as well and have great results. He sends you for x-rays after a thorough consultation, then you have a treatment plan with adjustments and a circuit of machins in the office a few times a week . There's daily "homework" with the Denneroll blocks. Also, he shows you in the x-rays exactly where the issues in your spin or neck are by drawing lines of where the curves should be. Fascinating process for sure. He always says if Chiropractors are so dangerous why is my malpractice insurance so cheap lol. Anyways, 5 stars for Dr Aaron!!

−2

Alarmed_Nebula3917 t1_j2axbb1 wrote

I don’t know any but I really enjoy the YouTube videos

−2