Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

D-camchow t1_j371gv7 wrote

i like the new one more for sure. it's generic tall skyscrapper but more housing is good. The rich folk that move into this less likely to price out the working class elsewhere.

lateroundpick t1_j3741oa wrote

Your crazy to think a shiny new building will help regular people afford housing.

jakejanobs t1_j377lx4 wrote

Price = demand / supply,

It ain’t rocket science

lateroundpick t1_j3786x0 wrote

Nice to look at things in such simplistic terms. U need to sell a lot of rice to Impact cost. One rice kernel doesn't change shit.

jakejanobs t1_j37c7uf wrote

Exactly, which is why much more than this is needed. Density needs to be legalized everywhere, we can’t just build one apartment block and expect it to fix anything

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j37g1q4 wrote

This isn't one rice kernel. It's 500 apartments. It's also not the only higher density project of its kind.

You can't accuse other people of being overly simplistic and then say some bullshit like that.

lateroundpick t1_j37golw wrote

500 units? Less than a rice kernel.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j37x39e wrote

I love discussing these issues with people who care so little about them they can't spend even 10 minutes trying to educate themselves on the issue. It's like when you get to meet a six-year old child.

ProvBroker t1_j38078u wrote

I know there is subjectivity to the statement, but lateroundpick is correct about the impact of the tower on overall supply… 500 units is sort of a drop in the bucket when you consider the scale of supply shortage.

Jakejanobs is also correct that any increase to supply is a useful contribution towards solving the accessibility crisis.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j389oda wrote

>I know there is subjectivity to the statement, but lateroundpick is correct about the impact of the tower on overall supply… 500 units is sort of a drop in the bucket when you consider the scale of supply shortage.

​

True, but the bucket never starts to fill unless you start putting drops of water. This, Superman, that other Water St area development, etc. We need a metric fuckton of stuff like that to make a difference. Dismissing the solution because it doesn't solve the problem is asinine and counter-productive.

lateroundpick t1_j384ic0 wrote

Also - affordable housing is a false statement designed to fool poor people into thinking they have a chance to afford a nice place in a nice neighborhood. 'Affordable' is still very expensive - in most cities.