Submitted by blvckhcpe t3_10j3xxa in providence

Hey I’m considering going to college in Providence Rhode Island but I’m a bit scared because of the stories I hear of police brutality. As a black person when I hear these stories I’m horrified and scared for my life if I’m being honest but I really love Rhode Island if I’m being honest it’s such a cute state.But that not what this is about, could any black/ethnic person please tell me about their experience with the police?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Garysuhnise t1_j5icwja wrote

I'm Black in Providence. I've lived here for 12yrs. Still don't know what that weird ass pyramid in Pawtucket is about. But I digress....I've gone to protests where the cops are armed to the teeth. I work in a highly policed area. What I've noticed is a lack of police, honestly. I've called the police for car accidents, etc and if they show up, they take all of their time.

I haven't personally experienced brutality, but I know that it does happen. I'm one person with one set of experiences, but it's been reasonably safe. The colleges here are relatively cheap and well-known. Maybe spend a weekend here and feel out the neighborhood of the colleges you're looking at, then you'd be able to see for yourself if PVD is right for you.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j5k0kve wrote

>Still don't know what that weird ass pyramid in Pawtucket is about.

For your 15th anniversary party, you'll be taken inside and shown all of the treasures.

FunLife64 t1_j5ighx3 wrote

To keep it simple: I don’t think it’s a problem here anymore than most (if not all) of the country to where you shouldn’t come to RI.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j5k0ggb wrote

I was trying to phrase the same point and I read yours. The only person I've heard claim the city is better than or immune to these issues was the outgoing Chief of Police, but I can't really recall anyone saying that it's really worse here than anywhere else.

MarlKarx-1818 t1_j5j5nsc wrote

Sadly this is an issue in any urban context. I've lived in Boston, Revere, Worcester and Miami as well as Providence and cops act with impunity no matter where. This should not keep you from moving here.

daymanahhhahhhhhh t1_j5k0vk3 wrote

As far as cities go I think providence police is ok. Cops used to be way worse when it weed was still illegal.

Creepy_Meringue3014 t1_j5jzzhw wrote

If you're a woman you're fine for the most part. I have male friends who were profiled, but nothing came of those interactions beyond hard feelings etc.

CT is worse.

ynwp t1_j5kr0xp wrote

What stories?

zebrawithflowers t1_j5luywb wrote

Not black or ethnic, so I'll let others speak instead, but what you experience may depend on where you might go to school.

For example, there were racist incidents at Providence College against one of the members of campus security: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/26/metro/providence-college-coalition-rallies-support-black-public-safety-officer/

There have also been stories about profiling of students and other workers of color at the school.

That said, most of my interactions with Providence Police have been with people of color.

Good luck finding a place that is a good fit for you, and best of luck in college!

leavingthecold t1_j5lhqcj wrote

What stories of police brutality have you heard or read about here in Providence.

I don't recall anything on the Rodney King level that was reported at least. Can't speak about anything prior to the 90's.

Everythingismeaning t1_j5oefdh wrote

Providence is pretty much lawless at this point. I have high hopes for smiley but I’m sure it will be much of the same. Everything new gets immediately vandalized and covered in graffiti, gangs of dirt bikes driving through the streets without a care in the world.

−2