Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Good-Expression-4433 t1_j64gugv wrote

It sucks because there's definitely a bit of a food desert over here but the brands they carried and prices that came with it I felt mismatched for the area they're serving. I like the store but found myself only going for emergency stuff as a non driver to save a trek to somewhere further out, or to get fresh vegetables for a dish instead of making the trip to Price Rite or Walmart. The shelves when I go in there have gotten emptier, the store feels dirtier, and the employees all seem miserable to boot.

Trader Joe's felt like the nail in their coffin as you can get some of the Whole Foods style bougie shit like Urban Greens sells but still have affordable options. Urban Greens just became less affordable for the people who benefit the most from the location and the people who can afford it have more options in Whole Foods and now Trader Joe's.

leavingthecold t1_j64y9tw wrote

>it sucks because there's definitely a bit of a food desert over here

How is there going to be a food desert there , before that place came there were plenty of Asian and Hispanic markets selling good produce and vegetables. Some of it was locally sourced as well

The only place I ever saw as a food desert was in South Philadelphia holy shit. Providence is to small for that and we have a bunch of options.

kyden t1_j65zv5q wrote

I guess it’s a food desert if you’re a white person and afraid to go into minority owned stores. I live in warwick and constantly drive into the area to stop at the cambodian markets, which have so much produce. Even then, its not much further to the stop and shop or aldi.

Hot-Muscle-9202 t1_j64nnfs wrote

El Tesoro right down the street (the big yellow building) has an excellent produce section and meat counter if you eat that as well as plenty of staples. Their prices are also very competitive. Even after moving to Cranston, we still return weekly to pick up things that we'd otherwise need to get by visiting more than one big-box grocery store.

There is also another smaller one on Union that has an entire refrigerated room of produce, similarly well priced and a well-rounded selection.