Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chefwalleye t1_j6nltf6 wrote

Restaurants work on razor thin margins. Even the successful ones. My dad owned two and I worked in others for a decade. There are no massive profits in these industries. Look how many successful restaurants closed during the pandemic cause they couldn’t handle a single bad year after long-term success.

Even if none of this was true, the owners will never notice or care that you don’t tip. The servers that are just trying to feed themselves or their families will definitely notice the lack of tip. Especially when some of them make less than $6 an hour. Do you think an hour of their labor is worth less than a value meal at McDonald’s?

Electrical_Promise89 t1_j6nny28 wrote

No they don’t that is a myth to make people feel bad there have been many posts on Reddit talking about exactly this myth from managers and bookkeepers. The super thin margins are because of the money owners are taking out of the business. You are naive!

chefwalleye t1_j6noq6x wrote

Oh right, you read it on Reddit so you know it’s a fact. Obviously, I’m the naive one here.

−2

Electrical_Promise89 t1_j6npzab wrote

Well you are clearly smarter than me no restaurant makes a profit hence why they can’t pay decent wages but people keep opening them and the primary purpose of a business is to make money so I clearly don’t understand business! Or all restaurant owners are so nice that they are feeding people at cost. Lol. You are not naive I was being nice. I do not know what you are!

chefwalleye t1_j6nqo69 wrote

When have I ever said restaurants don’t make a profit? Small margins are still a profit. When you sell a lot of product, small margins can make you a lot of money. Unfortunately, there’s no room for adjustment with small margins. So, increased labor costs would require increased revenue. Prices are currently falsely deflated by tipping. I’m all for getting rid of tipping and setting prices fairly, but people would complain about that too. One thing I know for sure, tipping your server doesn’t solve anything except taking money they earned right out of their pocket.

−1

Electrical_Promise89 t1_j6nqw2j wrote

That is why you called me dumb and wrote about how the poor workers should be paid through tips because the ‘employers’ margins don’t allow for decent wages but obviously that was not what you meant