Submitted by ldi98 t3_1128jef in rva

How much should I expect to pay for a speeding ticket here? Like what’s the typical rates for lawyers? I got my first ever speeding ticket so trying to figure out how much money I should set aside for this

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fanrva t1_j8inj9m wrote

So, I’m not legal expert, but here’s my take: I’ve had a couple of tickets in the past. If it’s just a speeding ticket, I just went to court with no lawyer. Especially for first offenses, the judge will usually let you go with driving school. You’ll pay the court fees and then for driving school.

It’s been a while for me though. I had a heavy foot when I was younger. Others might say it’s best to lawyer up, but that’s my experience.

couch_lockRVA t1_j8jlnmk wrote

^^^correct answer, especially since its your first ticket

ldi98 OP t1_j8iv58m wrote

Thanks! Do you remember if that affected your insurance rates at all or does the driving school allow the ticket to just be dismissed?

fanrva t1_j8jft67 wrote

Yep! As long as you go to driving school, your record will be clean.

Dunc13 t1_j8j4yhe wrote

If it's just speeding, $6 per mile over the speed limit (so at 84 in a 70, $84 plus costs). If you have a good record, as others have said, likely you can do driving school and have it ultimately dismissed.

The_Kentwood_Farms t1_j8iqokn wrote

Had a speeding ticket last year and just went to court, asked for driving school, paid court costs and was done with it.

augie_wartooth t1_j8irju6 wrote

Not a lawyer. Is it speeding or reckless driving? If reckless driving, I’d be sure to get an attorney because it’s a misdemeanor that carries the (unlikely) possibility of jail time and/or a big fine. From what I’ve heard, it’s likely to cost you a few hundred to $1000, but others may have a better perspective on that. What folks have said about asking for driving school is solid advice regardless of whether it’s reckless or just a regular speeding ticket.

ldi98 OP t1_j8ivgcz wrote

Not reckless driving, I got clocked going 84 in a 70 so I was definitely close but it’s just a speeding ticket. Thanks for the advice!

hikerva t1_j8j2ptr wrote

I thought over 80 was reckless driving in VA? Idid get a lawyer to resolve an 81 in a 70 - reckless driving - near the NC/VA line. Think the lawyer was approx $400

JeffRVA t1_j8j478v wrote

The threshold was changed to 85 a couple years ago.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodefull/title46.2/chapter8/article7/

§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.

A person is guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of 20 miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of 85 miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

ldi98 OP t1_j8j6so2 wrote

Thank goodness 😮‍💨

ldi98 OP t1_j8j3hbf wrote

I just looked it up and you’re right it does say 80+ is reckless driving. No where on my ticket does say reckless driving or RD or anything, just speeding. But I guess I’ll look more into it to be sure. Thanks!

cutejnny t1_j8j8dny wrote

I got pulled for that a few years ago and the cop just let me off with speeding. If they didn’t tell you it was reckless then it’s just for speeding

augie_wartooth t1_j8j1ke6 wrote

Glad you only have to deal with a speeding ticket! Way less of a headache.