Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Frelling_Dren t1_jdmvv21 wrote

TLDR: I wholeheartedly agree that they shouldn’t be a thing, but they’re not anything crazy (at least for ccps). Also, you can freely attend them as they are noticed events and therefore ccps is legally required to let you attend (although they probably won’t let you have any of the shitty Panera coffee or shitty Panera danishes)

These meetings are where the members of the school board meet with various religious leaders (mostly Christian, of course, but other faiths are represented as well).

The reason minutes aren’t taken is because the board doesn’t take action on anything during the meetings, although in my opinion, anytime there are 3 or more board members in the same meeting, minutes should be taken regardless of an absence of board action.

Legal minutes in this case would only consist of start time, end time, location, and “These members of the school board attended the faith leaders meeting,” which the notice pretty much is. They should still be written, but minutes wouldn’t make a difference from a public info standpoint.

If one were to hypothetically make a FOIA request, one might ask for any and all documents, including handouts, presentation slide decks, or working papers/draft documents associated with this event, as well as all communications between school board members, the superintendent, and attendees of the meeting in the week prior and week following the event.

You’ll get a big bill most likely, but that would give you what you’re looking for, although you’d be disappointed if you’re trying to dig up dirt.

I will say that these meetings are pretty innocuous, other than being an obvious slap in the face to the separation of church and state.

Source: former ccps school board clerk

HRPuffnGiger OP t1_jdmx4kw wrote

Second thought: So, why does the school board meet with religious leaders at all? What's discussed?

Like, what right does a priest or rabbi have to have any information about my kids schooling that I don't have already, yknow? Why are they even involved?

Frelling_Dren t1_jdmzy62 wrote

To answer your second question, zero right based on their profession. All the right based on FOIA. Justice and the law are two separate things.

To answer your last question, because ccps gonna ccps.

To answer your first question, I never attended one of these. Not that I was ever invited, but I made no secret of my feelings about religion having any sway at all over the public education of children. I have beyond zero patience for anyone that thinks their beliefs should apply to everyone unilaterally.

From what I gathered, it’s basically a coffee and danish “hey how are ya” type event with an update on the general goings-on with ccps and an ask of support from the religious community.

Again, it’s truly an innocuous event, but from optics and equity standpoints, it’s next-level bonkers that it’s a thing at all.

HRPuffnGiger OP t1_jdmwxm8 wrote

Hey, thanks for the info! When I first learned of them, I had requested to get on to the Faith Leaders mailing list, so I could attend and learn more, and I received a reply saying if im not a minister or pastor, I cant be on the list, but I can go read ccps announcements on their social media lol.

Being stonewalled was odd and u settling. Thanks for the info!

Frelling_Dren t1_jdmyw24 wrote

Just as an fyi, any time 3 or more board members are anywhere together, you have a legal right to be there. Even if it’s at one of their homes and regardless of the time of day.

I can’t speak to whether more than two attended the event, but if it was noticed, then you can attend. If you requested to attend a noticed meeting or event and were told no, then they broke the law, full stop.

If I was still there and found out that someone requested to attend and was told no, even if only one board member attended, I would have pushed back hard behind closed doors. That response is insane (but not surprising, unfortunately) to me, and that’s the sort of stuff that pisses people off.

As I told merv on several occasions, “you can’t get mad at the other team for capitalizing on an unforced error.”

memorex00 t1_jdoipbu wrote

Seriously, why is Merv still around? He’s already retired from his previous job in Delaware and CCPS is sorely in need of fresh blood for leadership.

Soloemilia t1_jdnyj6b wrote

RPS has a similar meeting. It is focused on outreach. How can RPS family liaisons work with faith leaders to get in to the community to discuss importance of attendance, to offer resources available in RPS, to offer numbers to call if families need help with transportation etc.