Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Diet_Coke t1_jefi3xw wrote

One thing that may help prevent similar situations in the future - ask for a certificate of insurance showing you as the certificate holder before even letting a contractor step foot on your property. This goes for everyone, businesses and individuals. If it's a big job, make them add you as an additional insured and/or require additional insured status in your contract with them.

Insurance probably would not have paid out for this loss, but dollars to donuts he doesn't have coverage. Money issues usually mean insurance is the easiest corner to cut, and failure to maintain a license would block him from getting coverage by any company that checked, which they mostly will do. Additionally, providing falsified certificates of insurance is a felony in Virginia.

tequilaanddeadlifts OP t1_jefibfo wrote

Thank you! I will. I have very few updates to make here as of right now but as we move forward with growth plans I’ll make sure to do so. I’m a first time small business owner so I’m always learning (sometimes the hard way.)

Diet_Coke t1_jefkdgj wrote

For sure, sometimes that's the only way. I wouldn't have known about this either until I started working in the industry