Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

horhey_rva t1_jc091ru wrote

We’re a two EV house. Love it and will never go back to ICE vehicles. We charge at home but there’s plenty of chargers around town if you need them. Honestly, we’re always charged up in the mornings so we never have to use them around town but they’re out there.

rvajamesriviera OP t1_jc2ouge wrote

Thanks! That's helpful to know. How often do you charge at home?

horhey_rva t1_jc31a26 wrote

Every night, just plug in and let them charge. We only top off, so it’s not like we’re fully charging 10-100% every night. It’s more like 65% to 80-85% each night.

rvajamesriviera OP t1_jc3awyn wrote

Ooohh okay I see now, I was wondering why people were saying they charge it every night. Not because they need to just because it's convenient to top off at the end of the day.

PopularMedicinetoday t1_jc2pc9b wrote

Question, if I just run a normal extension cord from an outlet will that charge an electric vehicle? Will it just be super slow? Or just normal charging speed?

I live in the city and I don’t mind running an extension cord but I don’t want it to be out there overnight every night and it to be a permanent nuisance for people walking by.

horhey_rva t1_jc31kl3 wrote

Not a normal extension cord. You’ll need a beefy one with the correct AWG size to match how many amps you’re pulling, otherwise you risk a fire. But there are specially made cords for that purpose.