Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DefaultSubsAreTerrib OP t1_jdy472m wrote

>the idea that public housing will be the same as it’s been in the past, but this doesn’t need to be the case.

In an ideal world, no. But all evidence suggests it will continue to be the case. Meanwhile, public housing concentrates poverty and thereby attracts crime.

A better approach might be vouchers that can be spent on housing on the free market. It doesn't concentrate poverty and gives low income individuals more choice in where they live.

>There was a comment above that you are a realtor.

I'm sorry, this is really distracting: I'm not (nor have I ever been) a realtor nor a property developer, nor have I worked in related fields like finance or property management or landlording or construction or what have you. I don't profit from construction. I am a homeowner, and so some would argue that increased development that I favor might decrease my property value...

Lamidala6 t1_jdyk53d wrote

I agree. Our current public housing model, in order to work properly, needs loads of reform.

Within the YIMBY model, I like your idea of vouchers, which would help low-income people in the free market.

I appreciate you providing clarity on your position and motivations.