Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

augie_wartooth t1_jdm3zch wrote

Yeah, comparing a payment increase on something YOU OWN because it appreciated in value to someone’s rent going up is pretty tone deaf.

iwearlederhosen t1_jdm5r9t wrote

See my comment below. It's not all about appreciation in value but the cost of maintaining the property. A $100ish increase a month is netting a landlord no income increase. Would you expect they just eat that as a loss? If I owned properties and had a good tenant I'd do the same thing. Explain the cost going up, even lay out exactly the increases and say I'd like you to stay but this is what it costs this year more now.

If you don't like it I guess you could go live in a tent and pay nothing, I don't know what your ideal solution is here

−3

augie_wartooth t1_jdmjw3q wrote

Where did I say rent should never go up? I don’t buy for one second that some of the rent increases people are talking about here cover what you’re talking about in a way that’s not straight up exploitative.

“If you don’t like it, too bad, shut up” is basically what you’re saying here. I own, so this doesn’t actually affect me, but excuse me for having the temerity to care about other people I guess.

ETA My ideal solution is “don’t exploit people.”

−2

iwearlederhosen t1_jdmljm7 wrote

I take it you still didn't read the other comment I posted below.

augie_wartooth t1_jdmmya6 wrote

Yeah, i saw it, and it doesn’t really address what I’m talking about.

iwearlederhosen t1_jdmnxfs wrote

Put the comments together then I don't understand. I agree there are predators. My only point for an increase is based on cost increase not greed. OPs rate going up 6-10% is on par with actual cost increases. There's nothing to do about that. 40% move until there's some form of enforceable rent control