Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DriveRVA t1_isaupct wrote

Reply to comment by burdell69 in Pops poker freeroll by SKINS_IV

I really think the terrible outcome of the football training facility deal factored into people's votes against that. Regardless that one deal was nothing like the other people just vote against anything supported by the city.

JulianVanderbilt t1_isbpuru wrote

> I really think the terrible outcome of the football training facility deal factored into people's votes against that.

I agree with you on this. Dwight Jones had so many straight up boondoggles where he gave away parts of the city to developers and "Richmond" got nothing back (Dominion Energy Center, WFT Training Camp, etc) that people were, and still are, very reticent to see any major development approved by the time Stoney got into office, through no real fault of Stoney. I think this poisoned his Navy Hill plans as well. He inherited a very bad climate for trying to get a signature redevelopment project through, gambling-concerns aside.

SKINS_IV OP t1_isb97j1 wrote

I’m originally from the eastern shore of MD. When I first moved here, I went for about 5 years straight. About 2 times a year. Talked to so many people who lived here and were Washington fans but never went. Went until my kids didn’t have fun anymore. So I was truly grateful for it.